Panicking as Abemaciclib tablet needs to be swallowed whole twice a day

• 5 replies
  • 266 subscribers

Can anyone help me please?
I cannot swallow tablets whole with liquid. 

I somehow made it through 5 months of chemo and a mastectomy. Finding soluble alternatives or crushing or opening capsules etc. 

My Oncologist now says I HAVE to swallow Abemaciclib twice a day in whole tablet form. As there is no other option. 

Apparently you can’t crush, break, or even swallow whole with water if tablet is even cracked. 

It doesn’t seem to come in any other form. I need this drug for two years, but will have to refuse if I can’t find a solution other than swallowing whole. 

Am having anxiety attacks as a result. Am extremely grateful for any advice. Especially if you found a solution for yourself or others on this drug, with a fear of swallowing tablets like me. Or  found a soluble or even crushable format? 

I will speak with the Pharmacy team, but was warned by Oncologist there is no alternative. I have become miserable over this recent information. As if this cancer journey isn’t difficult enough.

Thank you

(Cici)

• Can you put it in applesauce or pudding to see if it will go down whole?

Barbara

Barbara 

• Try fruit yogourt.  The flavour  keeps the brain busy while it goes down. It's what they sometimes do in hospitals and care homes in my area:)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet.  Stephen Hawking,
  • Thank you Barbara. I will certainly have to try this if no other option. As I am told great things about this drug. But am totally miffed it’s not available in any other format. I often have difficulty swallowing liquids and regular foods My fear is I might bite the tablet in error as I struggle through many attempts-to get it down.

Cici

(to know I now have this struggle on my hands, twice a day, for 2 years is depressing me hugely). 

• Thank you Londonmumof2

i will have to try this method too. I hope I can distract my brain as you describe. I feel I have met my Achilles heel in the most unlikely of life events. It feels bigger than my fear of the dratted C reoccurring.  My hubby says don’t take the pill if it’s causing this much anxiety pre prescription already, but realistically we both know I must. For my teenage daughter to have her mum well into the future, if not for myself. 

• Update, in case this helps anyone else who might be struggling in a similar position. 
    With permission from the drug manufacture, I have dissolved all my Abemaciclib tablets in 20ml of water twice daily for over a year now. 
    I then drink through a metal straw within 10 minutes. And follow with a full glass of water. I was told it’s not ideal but… I would still get the benefits.  Pray

it might be the reason why my side effects were a bit stronger? No idea? But it certainly worked out great for me.  Zero taste and zero odour came from dissolved drug.  Dissolved totally in about 20 to 40 seconds.