Reconstruction after mastectomy?

• 15 replies
  • 253 subscribers

Hi everyone,

After six months on a neo-adjuvant trial of letrozole plus palbociclib, followed by two failed attempts at a lumpectomy plus some nodes removed, I have now been told I need a full mastectomy.  The most recent MRI suggested the tumour was 3cm, hence the decision to go for a wide local excision, but when it was removed, it was actually more than 6cm and the second op to have a cavity shave didn't get rid of it all either. 

It's been a long process since diagnosis last September and I'm feeling rather frayed at the moment.  Now I have to decide whether to go for implant reconstruction at the time of surgery or not and I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this, or any experience they may be willing to share?  On the one hand, I can appreciate how having reconstruction straight away might help me psychologically, but I am worried about possible side effects of subsequent radiotherapy.  I've played the odds of the trial and the chances of success with the lumpectomy and lost out on both counts, so I am just thinking that knowing my recent luck, I will end up with side effects.  I'm 58 and my bikini days are over, so I am thinking I just leave it for now, but I am conscious that how I will feel about losing my breast after surgery may present a different set of challenges and I won't know how I will react until it has happened.  I know the decision has to be mine, but that feels rather lonely at the moment and in my current state of mind, I just can't think straight.  My surgeon and nurses are brilliant, as are my family and friends, but I would appreciate some thoughts from others who have experience as patients.  

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks!

• Thank you again. I think I'll sty flat. I'm 53 and had this happened 20 years ago I would have been devastated. I don't have Facebook but appreciate you telling me you had no complications. I'm having my surgery on Thursday. I'll have drains and I'm just looking forward to it all being over. My thinking is I'll be able to wear Calvin Kelin barrettes I couldn't before . Can I just ask you , was it sore afterwards?. I've been told I'll only get paracetamol and I bought some Ibuprofen 400 mg , the strongest I think. How long did it take you to recover?

• Thanks to everyone for your advice.  I've decided not to have immediate reconstruction and feel more confident that I will be OK. 

• Hello, I think with pain we are all different.  I have found that I did need stronger Pain Relief such as Codeine for a few weeks and also an Anti-Inflammatory.  This may have been because I already had Surgery and Radiotherapy 8 Year's ago.  It might be worth having some at home just in case you do need it.  They are usually good in the Hospital at managing your pain and I found the Staff were guided by how I felt.  I am up to 12 Weeks post Surgery now and there is some mild pain / stiffness across the Chest when I do things or go out for a long time.  I listen to what my Body needs as we all do.  Wearing the Bra is still uncomfortable, but I have been told by the Breast Nurse that this can take time to all settle down.

I wish you well with your Surgery.  Take Care.xx

• Hello, thinking of you, I had a single mastectomy in January and was offered reconstruction and shown photos of consultants work he had done and was amazing, but straight away I knew I didn’t want i partly because I just wanted this nasty thing that had invaded my breast gone, breast an all, I was also worried if I had reconstruction that something might be left, silly I know but I just wantedverything gone, I recovered so well and now just pop my falsie into my bra pocket and it’s just a part of me now, feels ok and I even have still have a cleavage thanks to how surgeon did the op, theption is there if I change my mind but I’m sure I won’t, it’s nice that we can all have a choice, I made mine and I’m happy with it xxx

• Hi

Not sure if this reply will be helpful given the chain of responses above.  I have had a double mastectomy with reconstruction using implants. I am pleased with the results.  I am BRACA 2 and didn't want to continue with annual mammograms.  I am triple negative and so now on chemotherapy. 

Every bodies journey is different.

Good luck what ever you choose.

ricki