Watering eyes

• 7 replies
  • 254 subscribers

Hiya - advice please

I’ve just finished 6 rounds of chemotherapy (3 x EC & 3 x Docetaxel) and after all the chemo side effects Im starting to feel like going out and seeing more friends.
I lost my hair months ago and that hasn’t been a huge problem - now it’s slowly regrowing thank goodness. But I’m really struggling with losing my eyelashes and having watery eyes so people think I’m very upset all the time. I want to wear eye make up and have been doing so until the last week when the eye watering has become a problem. I did the wonderful Look Good Feel Better workshop and have been using their lovely products. 
I know it sounds a minor issue compared to all the other horrendous things chemo throws at us but it’s making me feel quite isolated and nervous about going out  

Has anyone found good ways to overcome the constant tears? 
How can I reduce the watery eyes? Is there any eye make up that will help? 

• Hiya, I had this too and it drove me mad, it makes the skin around your eyes sore too doesn’t it? I took antihistamine, used antihistamine eye drops and Theloz Duo eye drops and that helped a bit. I also found that I had to stop using an eye cream I had been using for fine lines, it was like suddenly I’d become allergic to it. I can reassure you it does stop after a few months x

• Thanks for these suggestions- anything is worth a try. I’m glad to hear it doesn’t last forever but it’s so annoying at the moment. 
    Hope alls well with you x

• It is really annoying isn’t it?  My watery eyes began about round 3 or 4 of docetaxil and Carboplatin which I started in July 2022. I had eye drops prescribed which really didn’t help at all.  I finished my final round of Kadcyla in December 2023 and continued to suffer with watery eyes.  I was beginning to think that I would have to learn to live with them and then they suddenly started to improve about a month ago.  I still get the odd time where I am constantly dabbing but it is very much better now.  Sorry I can’t give you any miracle cures but it does get better eventually.  Xx

• Hiya , I had 4 ×EC ,4xDocetaxyl with last one on 7 March.My eyes had watered for a few days after each Docetaxel but I could manage it with hay fever tablets to stop watery eyes .A week after my last chemo was when the watering eyes started and didn't stop for weeks .It was awful ,I hardly left the house as my eyes were just streaming with tears even just rolling down my cheeks and dripping off my chin .the skin around the eyes was so sore and dry.I tried every type of eye drop available -dry eyes,irritated eyes,infected eyes and none really helped .I asked the chemo team and BCN if they knew what would help but they just said dryveye drops .Anyway ,after about 3 miserable weeks ,it gradually stopped .I don't know if it was coincidence, but around then I started using some eyelid wipes that I got in Boots but Superdrug do them too .They are suggested for blepharitis but can be used by anyone, and I found them refreshing to use. I wish there was some definite solution or cure to give you  as its so miserable having to mop your face all the time and not being able to wear makeup ,but hopefully yours will pass in a week or two 

• I’m glad yours have improved though it’s a long wait. Did your eyes water less if your eyelashes grew back? 
    Im sure mine are worse because I’ve lost my eyelashes with Docetaxel. I managed to keep them during EC but no such luck now. It’s very frustrating and embarrassing so I’m encouraged to hear that eventually there might be some reprieve xx

• Thanks for your reply Caff1. Mine have got much worse since my last Docetaxel too like yours. I have dry eyes anyway and my left eye is worse. I’m going to try your recommendation of the eye wipes and hope that improves the wateriness. I was so looking forward to going out and seeing friends once the side effects of my last chemo eased and this has really been upsetting. They are even worse in the sunshine and sunglasses don’t make a difference except to hide some of the eye make up disaster area. 
    Glad you’re ok now and hope that all goes well for you on the next step of your recovery xx

• It certainly was a long time, I don’t think losing my eyelashes helped but they were quite fine when they started to grow back so took some time to thicken up so that may have some bearing with the provement. Best of luck to you, it is the gift that keeps on giving. Rofl