Wig, cap or scarf advice please

• 8 replies
  • 252 subscribers

Hi my sister is due to start chemo soon (just had mastectomy and lymph nodes out), she's not going to use the cold cap as she already gets migraines, so we expect her to lose her hair. I said I'd look into options for her as she's got enough to get her head around with chemo treatment plans etc.

I'd like to find a nice place where I can take her to get her fitted for a wig so we have it ready when her hair goes. I have just had my hair cut short, so kept my long ponytail which I can donate to wherever we get her a wig from. I'd also like to learn about suitable hats/caps/scarves etc in case she finds the wig too hot - she gets eczema too.

If anyone can advise that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

• Assuming you are in the UK she will be entitled to a wig (or at least a contribution towards it) from the NHS. In my hospital, the service is arranged onsite through MacMillan, but I think the arrangements vary quite a lot. My hospital is a large tertiary city based hospital. I was referred to the service by oncology, I was contacted by them, went in and had a fitting, got a wig that was a very good match to my pre-chemo hair. In practice I am only wearing it when I want to hide my status as it’s a lot more comfortable to wear a scarf or a turban, and I have a lot of suitable scarves anyway. 

• Thanks that's very useful to know. Did you have a favourite place/website for scarves/turbans?

• I bought the basic sleep cap here but then add my existing scarfs around the bright colours I choose, seemed like most cost effective option to me (although I think maybe the sleep caps could be cheaper elsewhere this shops background appealed to me) Xx 

Not another bunch of flowers . com

• I am using things I already owned

• Hi 

I found the website Anna Bandana was good for headwear - low prices, quick delivery and lots of different designs from plain to really colourful.  In case your sister has a PICC line fitted they also do cheap and comfortable PICC line covers.

I’d recommend looking at cancerhaircare.co.uk - this charity has loads of great info and advice, including videos.  They also run excellent, free online workshops including on how to look after your hair, tie headscarves etc.  

• thanks - i might send her a couple of caps - i love that they wrap them up like flowers Slight smile

• thanks, I'll have a look

• Hi im am also going through chemo , I did try the cold cap but lost most of my hair , i did purchase two very good wigs of Amazon and they are so beautiful just like real hair , and I have had so many compliments about them , and to be honest they were so cheap one was £17 and the other £23 , I got my hairdresser to cut one but I cut the other . 8 could not believe how good these were for the price ....hope this will help your sister good luck with everything stay strong xx