** APRIL-MAY 2022 BREAST CANCER CHEMO **

• 107 replies
  • 258 subscribers

Here's a new thread for discussions around chemotherapy, as the existing threads were getting a little long. If you're looking for earlier discussions, you can find them in the

Please do let us know if you have any other threads you think would be useful to link here.

• There are charities to help with financial challenges. I know we don't want to be dependent on external help, but it does ease the pressure. The macmillan centres usually offer food support like a food bank. I imagine Maggie's do the same. I know its only a small thing, but food is so expensive now and every little bit helps us on the way. There are financial advisors with Macmillan who can point you in the right direction and ease your worries. Have you got your medical exemption form from your GP yet? This gives you free prescriptions for 5 years. Any creams for dry skin, lotions, eye drops, pain relief etc for chemo should be given to you by the chemo unit on the day, but I found I needed to ask sometimes. If you have a PICC line, ask for a prescription for a picc line shower cover. You give it to your GP and they prescribe it for you. I did have a week of wrapping my arm in cling film for showering before the cover arrived! You also get a wig voucher from the chemo unit to contribute 80 to a wig, but there are online wig charities that sell second hand wigs for very little money. 

Chemo wasn't as bad as I thought, but just made me very tired and fuzzy headed. I had other niggles along the way, but just tried to get in the zone and get on with it, exercise each day, even if only a walk to the end of the road and back. I couldn't have worked through chemo either, if that helps at all. My PICC line was great - no pain when chemo goes in, no needles for blood tests, no needles at every chemo. Was really good. Just had to be a bit careful in the shower using the prescribed cover and trying not to let too much water run down that arm.

I found the anticipation of waiting to start anything, or change chemo was worse than the reality. You will be able to get through this, even though it feels daunting preparing for treatment. I hope you find chemo and radiotherapy OK too and it should be much better once you get started. xxxx

• Thankyou I feel better knowing what to expect I have a young boy of 9 and trying to arrange childcare etc .

it is all so much to take in aswell as I became a NaN yesterday to a beautiful grandaughter Sparkling heart

they did say to keep away from toddlers so may not see them for a while as they pick up so many infections coughs and colds .

• Congratulations on becoming a Nan yesterday - what a wonderful joy and lift in the midst of everything else that is going on.

It is so hard to avoid infections, but at least summer is coming and there are less coughs and colds about and we are outdoors more. If anyone had a hint of a bug on the way, or a runny nose, cough, sore throat etc, I asked them to stay away until no symptoms at all. I wore an N95 mask out and about to avoid colds as much as COVID - these protect you better than a standard surgical mask. As always hand hygiene and food hygiene important. I think we get in to a routine as to how we like to manage things around our chemo, whilst still trying to plan things we enjoy for the better days in our chemo cycles. Could you get your COVID booster/4th dose in before you start chemo, ideally 2-4 weeks before? Mine ended up only being 10 days before.

I am sure you will find your way through this - see how your body reacts to the chemo and what works for you and enjoy your beautiful new granddaughter xxx

• Congratulations on your new granddaughter, what lovely news Heart️

I have an almost 9 year old girl too. My youngest is 5. Juggling the childcare and the appointments is fun and games isnt it?

Glad your feeling a little better, here is you need anything xx

• Thank you so much for sharing your experiences I start my 6 rounds of chemo a week today and I’m really scared of feeling ill and all the side effects but it’s so good to be reminded that this lovely stuff is going to kill the cancer and until the point it starts to run into my veins it’s going untreated 

you are helping my mind set change from dreading starting to come on bring it on let’s get it done 

so a massive thank you 

• Ah thank you that means a lot.

Its really helped me to hear from others so I want to try and share my experiences to perhaps help others.

The run up is really tough. But the reality was a bit of a relief in lots of way. This next stage is gonna be tough, but so are we! We will get through it.

If you have any questions or things please do just ask. 

Also please let me know how it goes for you next week xx

• Thank you so much 

I have great friends who support me but when you hear them talk about their plans for the summer you realise you are on your own until you join this site and get do much support 

• Oh my god, I know exactly what you mean!

I have the best friends and family ever but when people start making and sharing plans it hurts. Not for them, I'm glad for them I just feel sad that I cant make my plans beyond treatment.

We aren't alone and this is just for now. There will be good days and bad day and sometimes the best plans are the ones that just happen.

Sending love and hugs xxx

• I keep reminding myself how quickly the last four and a  half months have gone and just keek saying stay focussed 

and as you say it’s not for ever sooner it starts the quicker it will be over 

• I’m starting 8 rounds of EC then 8 rounds of paxalitine I think it is that . then will need radiotherapy .

its a lot I didn’t think I would have that much 

I keep forgetting things is that normal I’m not very hungry no appetite 

Thankyou she is beautiful Two hearts