*** APRIL - AUGUST 2022 BREAST CANCER RADIOTHERAPY **

• 53 replies
  • 256 subscribers

We've created a new thread for radiotherapy discussions. If you're looking for earlier discussions, you can find:

• You can also find useful radiotherapy tips shared by members in an older thread here.

Please do let us know if you have any other threads you think would be useful to link here.

Edit: We've extended this thread to August 2022. 

• Hi did you get RT to armpit  would that  cause lymphoedema. Or was it just because of the RT. 
    Im due to start  mine soon x

• Hi, I had RT to the armpit. It has a lower chance of lymphoedema than axillary node clearance. I think about 10 percent or so from memory, but I'd check with your RT team. The main early things are to look after your skin and stick with that. And also to do the exercises from the Christie Hospital and keep going with those.  I am about a month out from radiotherapy. I still have an ache in my arm, but I can live with that. My shoulder is moving well and so far I don't have lymphoedema. I just wondered if the ache down my arm in to my hand was that or something else. My arm seems to be slightly less achy than it was so am hoping it will settle down.

• That’s good news. I suffered with a burning  sensation down arm after op. But seems to be getting much better now.  I only had sentinel node removal and was clear so not sure if I will get RT to armpit. I did suffer with slight cording after sentinel node removal. But it seems to be going down a lot. I gave full arm movement at minute. Should be starting RT soon so am I ok to moisturise beforehand. 
    is there a link to the Christie hospital exercises. Just in case  I may need these 

• Hi, I started moisturising with eczema creams a couple of days before and using non-scented soaps and then continue until your skin settles down after treatment. Just don't apply the moisturiser in the morning if your treatment session is that morning. I will find the Christie link for you. I am a bit hopeless with these things but will have a go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly1t2IFL2Sw I hope this works. It is called radiotherapy exercise class for breast cancer patients.  Good luck for your treatmetn

• Thank you so much for this Blush

• Hi 

Just wondering, since beginning radiotherapy I seem to have a problem eating eggs. It's the second time now I have been sick after eating either scrambled eggs or omlette. Seems only to have started while having this treatment.I had chemo with no sickness . Just wondered if anyone else has had this. It's my last one tomorrow so hope it will get better. 

Thanks x

• Hi,

After lumpectomy and re-excision in Dec and Feb, am 2 weeks into recovery from fast RT treatment of 5 days on my right boob, and wondering if anyone else has any hot tips on moisturising own back/shoulder?  I've been soaking the equivalent zone of my t-shirts with coconut oil before wearing them, and also completely loaded one of my microfibre cloths with coconut oil to gently lay over the skin by holding top & bottom corners behind me, but wow it's tricky making sure all areas are covered! The front is uncomfortable, but not too bad with paracetamol and the loaded t-shirt tucked to be in contact with all my under boob.

The exercises post op make sense now, without them I wouldn't have been nearly flexible enough to do even what I'm doing (I'm a self confessed ex-couch potato).

Also, am wondering how long people have been told to avoid uncooked fruit and veg for after RT?

Thank you, keep the faith x

• I should add, the coconut oil was the suggestion of the RT nurse who said it's the cheapest option which is still a bio oil. So far, I think he's right @£3.00 a jar I was grateful for the tip.

• Hi

when I put sun cream on my back I always apply it using the back  of my hand……it works for me.

Ive never heard of people being told to avoid uncooked fruit and veg after having breast radiotherapy and I worked in radiotherapy.As log as you wash your fruit and salad you should be fine.

• I wasn't given any specific dietary advice for radiotherapy, only for chemo. Hope the soreness settles soon. I have cetaphil moisturising lotion which I rub on to my skin where I can reach before my shower and then let a slow dribble of water spread the cream over my back. I guess a Scarf  held between two hands could act as a long flannel behind my back to get better spread! And same for applying moisturising cream generously after the shower.xx