Starting to avoid people because of the silly things they say!!

• 387 replies
  • 313 subscribers

Am I alone in wondering why people say the most ridiculous things to me in an attempt to empathise maybe or be helpful? How do you cope with it? From lectures on dropping dairy, turmeric curing me, friends who sailed through chemo because they were ‘ strong’ , all that warrior language irritates me, you’re the strongest person I know you’ll kick it’s arse, you need to be brave, only strong minded people get through this. Oh you’ve had to shave your head? Shame you could’ve saved it, not likely it was coming out in chunks, at least you’ll get ready quicker, less time in the shower, great to be signed off work in the summer though! My aunt/friend/work colleague had it and tried xyz, they were amazing, they died sadly!!!! I could go on on but recently my patience is wearing thin and my smile and words of thanks are slipping somewhat. A friend texted me and said don’t worry you’ll be fine and I could help it, asked for a look in her crystal ball!! 

How do others cope with it? My default is humour but it’s running out!!!!

• Ugh, yes. Someone asked me what my treatment would be (I regret that I answered) and then having listened to me describing all the horrible stuff that I have to go through and he doesn't, he said: "well, life's what you make of it isn't it".

Completely lacking in empathy. Thank you - but I didn't make myself have cancer treatment and if the side effects/recovery are rubbish it won't be me making that happen either.

• See no evilRage  Honestly! That’s up there with you never get more in life than you can cope with isn’t it! Filter people filter!!! X

• You have to just laugh,  I was officially diagnosed this morning, my brother who insisted on coming with me, blurted out ‘oh you’ve got a couple of years then”,  as we walked out of the hospital!   I know it is only his fear and upset coming out of his big mouth, he has t got a clue.  He came to support me, and actually it was round the other way..    I love him, but thankfully has just left for a long drive home.   Sometimes it’s great to live alone.

• You do indeed, funny how we do end up bolstering those we love in a way more than they bolster us, we have to try and accept it comes from a good place and then moan about it on here and get it out. I’m sorry you’ve had your diagnosis today, here if you want to vent x

• that's a few more years than my brother would have if he made such crass comments to me Joy

Years ago when my Mother in law died suddenly my sister and hubby visited to offer condolences and her hubby's comment to my hubby was "well we are all orphans now"  

How are you feeling about your diagnosis.  Do you have a treatment plan yet?

• About my diagnosis, ’m excited if you can call it that.   Certainly it’s better than not knowing and twiddling my fingers.  I have a provisional date for surgery on 17th August,  so I can now start getting over this hurdle and into recovery!   Surgery, chemotherapy radiotherapy and hormone treatment I’ll need it all.   Consultant is fabulous and the only married man to gab a feel of  my boobies  Wink   

I’ve been referred to Oncology and now it’s just a case of getting MRI done, let the team have their a multidisciplinary meeting. I’ve already got my hospital bag packed!    

As the Macmillan nurse said it will change you as a person, it made me smile, When my partner died in 1984 of  cancer, that changed me. I was just out of my teens.   Certainly I became more empathetic, and had more compassion for life around me.  I wanted to live to the full,  sod responsibility and boredom,  so packed a bag and  I went to Greece to bum around the islands for a couple of weeks, came back home 28 years later!  Having worked in various places along the way.   I wonder now what will I do after all this?   Some serious adventures and bucket lists are waiting, I’m just not sure what yet.

• Heart️Heart️Heart️ there’s new adventures to come definitely, I’m planning mine too, saving for the biggest and best holiday I can with my lovely girl xx

• Love your positivty   What made you come back from Greece?

• I use humour and everyone tells me I'm brave and I'll beat it cos I'm positive. I am positive to save their feelings to be honest. I feel they need support to cope with what is happening to me . I get told at least you caught it early etc etc but unless you go through it  nobody can tell you how to deal with it. It is a lonely journey in my head.

Wispajo