Radiotherapy

• 28 replies
  • 255 subscribers

Hi everyone, I will start radiotherapy next week 5 sessions in total instead of 15.  Anyone else had 5 sessions ? I have been told it is instead of 15. If you have any tips or advice would love to hear from you.  Thanks

• I rang the hospital today and they have sorted my transport, I am so relieved. Thank you x

• Hi all I have oncologists appointment on 11th to discuss and plan RT. In the meantime we are waiting for the rescheduled funeral for my ex husband who passed away earlier in December. I am trying so hard to be business as usual work and family wise for the sake of my grown up children. My husband is trying his best to be supportive but he lives with depression but constantly makes everything about how it affects him. Work see me coping and one of my staff commented that I'm a very strong woman so nobody has to worry about me. I have clearly done a great job of putting up that front. Underneath though I'm struggling as I feel that I have so many responsibilities. 

These posts on RT have helped me prepare for what the next stage will bring. Thank you everyone. Debs x

• Hi , You are obviously being a" swan" -Looking serene on top while paddling fast under the water. I think this happens to a lot of us especially following early diagnosis and treatment. We go into protection mode for our loved ones, which is where this site comes in . On here you can voice your fears and possibly anger and know that we have all been where you are now and truly understand how you are feeling. Vent as much as you need to and share a smile/laugh on the AWAKE thread too. I hope that your appointment goes well on the 11th and do ask any more questions on here as well as at your appointment. You may find that you need to have things reconfirmed  before they finally sink in properly - that was my experienceat times - a notebook and pen to dot down details was invaluable. Sending big hugs xx

• Hi Paris..I’m having my lumpectomy on sat and have been told 5 RT sessions following recovery. It used to be 3 weeks and now it’s reduced to 5 20 min sessions. I haven’t asked yet as I was processing (or trying at least) all the other cr?p. I assume it’s technology advancements and on the bright side 5 trips is better than 15... I think I’d just buy a camper van and stay on the car park !! Good luck at least you are on with treatment xx

• And...I’m with Kwussy on the swan analogy! People say the same to me about being strong and independent and I’m panicking like a well a very panicky thing. I have 2 kids aged 11 and 13, separated from their dad who has stage 4 lymphoma and I can’t protect them from this apart from being daft in their company. Someone said to me it’s the toughest people who are dealt  the most  challenges.... perhaps we should take that one!  I thought there was always some RT after surgery as a kind of “sterilisation” for the area? Of course may be very wrong, I’m learning this game! Keep paddling Paris, I’m sure you are doing a fab job xx

• Hi, I started 5 sessions of radiotherapy on 29 December, so far so good. The sessions have been quick and painless so far. Just back from session 3 and then back on Monday/ Tuesday to finish off. The hospital gave me flamigel to rub on 3 times a day to avoid burns. The area is red and a bit sore afterwards and an hour or so later feel very tired but so much easier than chemotherapy. Hope it all goes well for you xx

• Hi Lillies76,  That is good news and one less problem to worry about.  Have a Happy New Year. xx

• Hi Mu16, Same as me,  I started  on 29th December and completed 3 sessions.  Back on Monday/Tuesday to finish.  So far, I haven't had any redness/soreness, just feels a bit warm for a few hours.  Look after yourself and have a Happy New Year xx

• I’m day 2 of radiotherapy and have to say I really struggled last night. I had a deep stinging pain in my breast and it went bright red. I was really shocked as expected to breeze through these first few day with delayed reaction. My breast has also swelled quite a bit. Had second session today and they could see the redness/ swelling - they have said they will check with me Monday morning after weekend break to see how it is. 
    he did mention that having 5 means a higher dose of radio and so some people can react quicker!

im currently using aveeno and aloe Vera x

• Hi everyone, Just to say that we are all treated as individuals on this journey through breast cancer ,so it is not really surprising that we don't all get the same side effects. But rest assured the RT staff will monitor your progress and make any adjustments necessary as you go along . My own treatment was adjusted slightly on the 5th treatment because of swelling. Sending hugs and success to you all Xx