Radiotherapy

• 28 replies
  • 258 subscribers

Hi everyone, I will start radiotherapy next week 5 sessions in total instead of 15.  Anyone else had 5 sessions ? I have been told it is instead of 15. If you have any tips or advice would love to hear from you.  Thanks

• Hi Pariscat welcome to the forum. I have heard that they are starting to do this now and that's great doing it all in 5 sessions as opposed to 15 sessions. However, what I would say is that as far as I am aware it is a larger dose or longer dose of Radiotherapy at one time but I imagine that symptoms will be the same but may develop sooner if that makes sense.

So in essence you can feel tired and it is an overwhelming tiredness and if this does happen listen to your body and rest up as needed. Redness and soreness from the Radiotherapy in the breast area and they should advise about creams to use and what ones not to use. I only ever used Aloe Vera and kept it in the fridge as it is so cooling on your breast. When you are showering or bathing don't rub the skin on the breast as the skin is fragile so just pat dry. 

Hope that's been of some use and I feel sure that others will be along soon to offer further tips and advice.xxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Interested to hear more on this as I suspect I may have fewer sessions too as that seems to becoming more the norm . I have an appt to discuss my treatment on 5th Jan . Still feel in a bit of a daze about it all as it’s all happened so quickly ! Feels like I’m watching someone else go through it all ! 

• Hello , I had the 5 day RT in June following lumpectomy at the end of April. The side effects were much less than my previous 35 sessions which was the standard 22 years ago. (see my profile if you wish).I was told that the 5 session RT was now the gold standard for most.It has been shown to be as effective after extensive testing and review. There was a link to the research but I haven't got it to hand -probably if you contact Macmillan by phone they will be able to direct you in the right direction. I understood at the time that not all centres were able to provide it - but this may have changed now
      I was lucky that my unit provided a suitable cream to use before and after the treatments. It was Epaderm cream and could be used as a shower cream as well as a moisturiser. Your BCN should be able to advise you what your unit suggests.As I am well endowed I was advised too wear a bra for support but I did tuck an old soft hankie underneath my boob and the band of the bra. I did have a little soreness which developed about 3 weeks after the treatment was completed but this cleared up very quickly when I used the cream prescribed by my GP. The fatigue did not affect me anywhere near as much as it had before but the unit was much closer to home and so the added travelling was minimal. Added to that I anticipated it and chose to go for a little snooze on some days. Listen to your body and you will be fine.You may find a small cushion or a teddy bear between you and the seat belt may make you more comfortable when travelling, I used a teddy bear! My practice nurse was happy to prescribe more of the Epaderm cream, so I continue to use it. Please continue to do the exercises you were given post op. so that you can be positioned for the actual therapy easily.
          It takes longer to get you in the right position than for the actual treatment itself I found . The staff I found were so kind and explained everything that was to happen  and checked the skin every day. They even explained to me how the machine worked. All this happened during Covid precautions and the staff all wore the customary protective masks and visors etc. I felt very safe in their care.I hope this helps to allay your fears and is of some help on a practical basis. Sending Hugs xxKwissy

• Hi Pariscat, 

I start 5 days on WednesdayGrimacing I’ll have 5, then 4 boost! 

im preparing myself to feel tired and for the redness/ soreness to develop week or so after. My biggest difficulty is childcare now that schools potentially won’t open! Rage
    Best of luck xx

• Thanks for mentioning aloe vera .... forgot how cooling it is.  Must get some!! xx

• I know how you feel!  I'm still trying to get my head into gear..... can only take in so much and then have to 'stick my head in the ground' and try to get on with my life.  One good thought about 5 sessions ......don't have to travel as much to the hospital.

• Thanks Kwissy...found your words very comforting. I'm not that well endowed but like the suggestion of a teddy bear - I can snuggle up to it on the way home. xx

• Hi Sf79, feeling tired and sore seems to be the norm. Don't have children just a couple of cats. Hope you sort out childcare. Hope all goes well for you. xx

• Hi Pariscat,

I also have a telephone appointment on 5th January about starting radiotherapy. Looking at the replies here so far, I think I will order myself some aloe vera gel in preparation. I am worried about getting to hospital and back as I don't drive and it's quite a way from home. Also worrying about childcare. My husband will be going back to work soon and I will be on my own. My BC nurse suggested 3 weeks of 5 days each week but I am wondering if it will be 5 sessions now as it seems to be the way things are being done now, will have to wait and see.

stay safe x

• Hi Lillies76,

At first I was told I would have 15 sessions but when I spoke with the Oncologist he advised it would be 5 not 15.  Getting to the hospital was a problem for me as I don't drive and I have a visual impairment so I was relieved it was 5.  I managed to arrange Patient Transport to take me to the hospital for treatment.  Perhaps you could make some enquiries about this. 

Hope everything works out OK for you. stay safe xx