Hello, newly diagnosed

• 6 replies
  • 495 subscribers

Hello

Due to have lumpectomy on 5th November … HER2 positive cancer caught early, no lump, picked up on routine mammogram. 
Surgeon quite confident that radiotherapy and medication will be treatment plan as small area but states that it will be up to oncologist following procedure. 
I’m a bit anxious about whether the small area could have increased in size and end up needing chemotherapy Weary Does anyone else get tired of being told to keep strong and positive when there are times when you just don’t feel it…. Pensive

• Hi Positive Pat

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Absolutely there are times you feel tired of people telling you to stay positive when you are feeling anything but.  While they mean well they just don't get it, as they haven't been through it as well.

Wishing you the best of luck with your lumpectomy and your results from it.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Positive Pat,

Yes it gets tiresome at times, however I think people mean we'll they are just not sure what to say.

Keep an open mind till results are through. I was to have lumpectomy and sentinels nodes removed followed by radiotherapy. 

I had the op and although my nodes were clear my tumour was larger than first thought and I required chemo prior to radiotherapy. Both of which completed last week. I am now on the hormone suppressants and awaiting bone infusions dates.

I had awful nightmares last night as I see consultant Thursday for results of CT scan and my head is back to racing away with itself. I get the annoyance at people saying stay positive it will be okay. It's really difficult. I will try to reduce my stress regarding results or I will drive myself nuts.

Good luck with your treatment plan and recovery xx

• Well done for writing in the chat.  I am between diagnosis and treatment.  And the days are very long and I have chemo , surgery and radiotherapy ahead of me.

I too feel frustrated at people telling me to stay positive, especially when I am talking about my worry for how my children will cope with this next year. As everyone says they mean we'll, but it also sometimes feels like you can't say how your truly feeling.

I appreciate your post and wish you a speedy treatment