Shock breast cancer diagnosis

• 16 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hello there. 

I am 66 years old, retired, with no family history of cancer of any type. I had a mammogram in February, which was all-clear, so, when I discovered a lump in my right breast, I wasn't too concerned. However, it just continued to grow, so I saw my GP, who referred me on the 2-week pathway. This turned out to be more like a 4-week pathway, so I went to my local private hospital for a diagnosis.

After my mammograms and ultrasound scans, they told me that I do have breast cancer and an enlarged lymph node in my armpit. They took biopsies of both and I have to wait 10 days to see my consultant to be given full diagnosis and treatment plan. He has already told me that I am looking at a mastectomy, due to the size of the lump. At age 66, I think that that is a small price to pay if it removes my cancer. However, I suspect that I will need chemo, which worries me more than the operation! I have no family history of cancer of any type, but I have inherited the family heart problems as well!

It's difficult to know when to tell friends and family. However, the friends I have told have been brilliantly supportive. I admit to have dabbled in Google, but this made me feel worse, so I'm just trying to live life as normal until my appointment in a week's time. I feel so bad when I see that my husband is so upset, but he is there for me, so I am lucky that way.

Anyway, I have rambled on enough, but have appreciated the opportunity to unload this on people who understand what I am going through. Good luck to all of us!

• Hi Wakey Lass

i am so sorry hear your news at least you will be on your course of treatment soon. I found the waiting the worst and very up and down times but we will get there. I was googling a lot and found it Heartade me much worse so like you I try not to. Glad you got support around you Heart

• Hi Wakey Lass

I was in your position 15 months ago. Those first few weeks are the worst. Trying to understand why you with no family history. My husband found it really difficult too, the waiting and not knowing. However think ahead. Treatment has come on leaps and bounds and hopefully this time next year, you’ll have completed your treatment and living a pretty much normal life but appreciating all the little things in life so much more than you do now. Try keep yourself busy in the interim. I kind of buried my head in the sand, didn’t tell people until I had a definite diagnosis and treatment plan and still kept it to a small group. This way I felt others would treat me as ‘normal’ and that worked for me. I hope it goes well for you. Xx

• Hi, sorry you find yourself in the club nobody wants to join.  I was like  you I had a mammogram in February and got the all clear.  I discovered a mass on my right breast and my nipple was inverted.  I was sent to the breast clinic within two weeks and after a mammogram, 3D mammogram, ultrasound, needle test and biopsies the dr told me I had breast cancer.  On returning for my results he told me the needle said I had breast cancer but the biopsy which they always go by was clear. My dr wasn’t convinced and wanted to do further biopsies.  I had to wait four weeks because of bruising.  The result of the 2nd biopsy showed up tubular cancer which is hard to diagnose but a good one to have.  The dr told me it was got early.  After my first surgery I was told the margins weren’t clear that I had DCIS too and that I had had it some time.   I had 2nd surgery to clear the margins.  I was advised that a mastectomy is dependent on the size of the tumour and the size of the breast.  He was prepared to do a 3rd surgery but thankfully I didn’t need it.  I had two weeks of radiotherapy and on Anastrozole for 5 years.  Hope this helps to assure you and your husband.  

• My goodness,  you have been through the mill! Thanks for your encouraging words.

• Thanks for your wise words!

At the moment I feel like I am standing at the edge of the abyss, and it is good to hear encouraging words from someone who has been through it.

• Hi Wakey Lass,

I’m 63 and had a lumpectomy nearly four months ago and lymph nodes removed, I finished my radiotherapy last week and like you, had no family history. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. At the moment, don’t try and think too far ahead, you may not need chemo and coiled be worrying unduly and giving yourself extra stress.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks, help with benefits, bills and lots more. I think it would also be a good idea to take your husband with you to the centre (open 10-4 Monday to Friday for coffee and chat) as they can talk to him too and it is all in strictest confidence. At times like this, people only seem to concentrate on the person who has been diagnosed, they forget how it could affect the rest of the family, I think he would find this beneficial. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, do tell your family as you will need them on board, they might feel more upset if you don’t. I found it easier just to tell them right out. I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me. Whatever you do, do not visit Dr Google as there is so much conflicting information, your head will spin and it will stress you out, listen to your medical team and your breast cancer nurse, you also get great support on here.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Thanks so much. Lots of very useful and encouraging information there! Arthritic knees prevent me from walking any great distance, but I have just started (the day before my diagnosis!!) a new diet to help with that, and hopefully help my recovery. I'm proud of myself for not breaking my diet under all this stress!!

• Well done you, chat here anytime - we’re all in this together Thumbsup tone3

• Hi Wakey Lass, I am so sorry that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer and that you will need a mastectomy. I was diagnosed last year and underwent every treatment possible. The oncologist will have a specific treatment plan for you and you need to just trust the doctors and do what they say. Everyone was always querying the timing of my plan and I just told them that the doctors know best. Take one day at a time and I found getting out each day for a walk lifted my mood even when it was bad weather. I was told to eat a Mediterranean diet to boost my recovery - no red meat, loads of veg and fish and only use olive oil (no butter) to cook. Post op try and eat more protein - your body needs that to mend itself - lots of fish and eggs (not so much cheese) and rest up. Everyone reacts differently to each different treatment or operation and  I found that I had to try to get more in tune with my body - if you need to rest - do it and let your husband take on more of the household jobs. Also, if you can do gentle exercises - yoga, Pilates or just stretching - you can find some on YouTube - it always makes me feel better. If you have any side effects or worries ring the Breast Cancer nurses - they are a fountain of knowledge and very approachable. Take all the support you can get - I found people were so kind and just want to help. Wishing you all the best with your treatment. 

• Thank you so much! Such a lot of useful advice for me to think about.

I get my treatment plan in a week,  and plan to be a good girl and do as I'm told! I have arthritic knees, so walking is difficult,  but I see that it is important to make myself get out and join my husband on dog walks. 

I appreciate you taking time to help me in my time of need x