Breast cancer

• 7 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Good morning all.

I’m new to the group and recently diagnosed with breast cancer on Monday.

not sure what type yet until the biopsies come back.

im just wanting to know if it’s normal as since I found out on Monday I have severe stomach pain and when I eat I’m bringing it up.

do you think this is some sort of stress/anxiety related issue to the trauma .?

Sarah x

• Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the group. It sounds more anxiety related as it's only started since you found out. Could be a wee bug.

I'm recently diagnosed also. Had my op now waiting for biopsy results from lymph nodes. The waits between appointments are the worst. I have an upset stomach also but know it's connected to my worry..some days if I'm distracted and doing things I'm okay. On the days I'm less distracted and focus on it my stomach plays up. It comes in waves.

I think you'll find likewise for most of us on this forum. Use the form for support and questions. Others have been through it and further on in treatments I find that helpful when I feel down or scared. Good luck with your treatment plan when you receive. We can fight this  xx

• Hi Sarah 1981,

I had a lumpectomy nearly two months ago and two lymph nodes removed. It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in. I think your sickness could be anxiety , after all the waiting period is the worst sometimes and does stress you out. However, if the sickness continues, do speak to your Doctor.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on this site, or ring them on 0808 808 0000, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more. Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. It is important during the day to keep yourself occupied, hobbies, interests etc., it stops you from dwelling on what is going on. You may also find it beneficial to listen to a meditation podcast, they really help you to relax especially when you are trying to get to sleep. I use one called ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith, it does a lot for me.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity, above all, be kind to yourself - I promise you, you will get through this. You are never alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

Take care and big hugs.xxx

• Thank you for that molly Heart️️

yes I definitely think it’s anxiety related.

im just so worried i think its making me sick.

i think once i have a plan of action in place hopefully that might settle.

its the not knowing.

us woman are strong I just need to keep that mindset xx

• Thank you for so much information.

i really appreciate it.

yes i have a good support network which is really good, and when they have asked how they can help and support me my only reply was to please be positive around me.

i don’t like fuss, and I just think the sickness is because im putting on a front but inside im hurting.

i will get there im sure i will.

its early days and still very raw to take it all in xx

• Hi Sarah, I'm sorry that you are here but glad that you found us.

It's probably anxiety related, which is totally understandable as you've had a huge shock and everybody will agree that it's the not knowing that's the worst.

Hopefully, they will have given you an indication of when you can expect your results, if not , I would check with your Breast Care Nurse next week.

Fresh air is good for your mind and I found breathing exercises helped. If you don't feel better soon, I'd try to see your GP. And don't google because most of it is outdated and every breast cancer is differnet.

Sending love x

• Hello, I should have my biopsy results back in 2 weeks, the dr mentioned maybe a medication to start with then an operation and radiotherapy after.

to be fair my head was spinning as I wasn’t expecting for them to tell me there and then it was cancer.

but there were very thorough and did all checks.

just wasn’t expecting it. 
    so I definitely think it’s shock.

i think I need to do a plan for myself until the results come back, like a little day to day planner, as I hate been out of control with anything, and that’s how I feel.

i just don’t want to start being sick and loosing my energy as I’m clearly gonna need it xx

• They won't tell you unless they are sure. They weren't with me, so I had to wait for biopsy results.

Once the biopsy results are back,  you should have an MRI .

It's both breasts,  with contrast. This will give them a better picture of size of lump and where to operate ( lumpectomy/mastectomy) and lymph nodes check .

Once they have that, they will decide a formal treatment plan.

It takes time unfortunately, and the waiting is the worst. Plan something nice each day , even if it's just a walk and a coffee.

Check if you have a Maggie's or Macmillan centre near you , they have events, workshops and complimentary therapies x