Waiting for confirmation

• 5 replies
  • 456 subscribers

Hi I'm new here. I had a mammogram about 2 weeks ago and got called back for further tests. I went yesterday worried but really thought it would just be a cyst as I have had one in the past. But after another mammogram and ultrasound I was told they needed to do a biopsy. The doctor doing it said on a scale of 0 being very unlikely and 5 being very sure she said she was at a 4 that it probably is cancer. I now have 3 weeks to wait for my appointment for the results which seems a very long time to have all these thought and worries going through my head. It's the thought of not knowing what's going to happen and what treatment I need. Its hard not to think worse case but trying to stay positive. Tia for any reply x

• Hi Trentend59,

I’m so sorry to here you are going through this terrible time. I had a lumpectomy nearly four weeks ago and two lymph nodes removed. I know it is a shock when you are told and waiting for results is a bummer, I waited three weeks for mine and you’re right, all sorts do go through your head, you go through a tidal wave of emotions, but this is a time that you must concentrate on you and what’s going to help you the most.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info and advice, do walks, talks and lots more (0808 808 0000). Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day, on my own or with my Macmillan group (British weather permitting) keeping active as possible is important, even doing a bit of exercise at home. My Macmillan centre does sitting on chair exercises every Thursday afternoon. I also do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system.

I know it’s hard sometimes when people say keep as positive as possible, but do try to have positive people around you and dump the negativity.  Please take one day at a time and keep your mind  and yourself occupied as much as you can. You are not alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here.

I will keep everything crossed for you and keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care, love and hugs.xxx

• Hi there, I’m playing the waiting game too and had the same experience last week but told I’m a 5. It’s hard to stay positive, I just feel numb. Im a usually cry at everything kind of person but not one tear. Im finding talking as my coping mechanism, thank god for this forum. Sending love your way xxxxx

• Thank you for replying. Its horrible waiting I supposed the only thing to do is try and carry on as normal but obviously it's on your mind all the time. I had my first Grandson a week ago so I went from being on top of the world to very quickly crashing down and was thinking worse case scenario I won't see him grow up. But they said it was only small so that's a good thing. Trying to be positive now but until you know for sure your mind works overtime thinking and worrying about what might be ahead.  

• Most people will tell you not to turn to Dr Google. I found doing some research on the types of breast cancer and the treatment pathways helped me be better prepared for the results meeting, but appreciate doing this isn’t for most people. It meant finding I had TNBC and needed chemo wasn’t the shock it might otherwise have been. It does become easier once there’s a plan because you just have to take it one step at a time. Wishing you all the best. 

• Hi I had biosopy week ago it a worrying the waiting hame.i have prepared myself for the worst I jyst want to know and  get things moving xx hope all goes well for you keep smiling xx