Start Chemo next Friday

• 9 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hi , firstly must say how reassuring and fabulous I have found this group, you all are so supportive and inspirational. Wanted to share my story and welcome any tips/advice. First routine mammogram 6th Feb, had no clue I had a lump. So shocked to get call back never mind diagnosis. Thought had been caught early, so was expecting lumpectomy and radiotherapy only. Histology not as expected, had spread in breast, and In lymph nodes. HER2 positive. Long story short, start Chemo next Friday along with Herceptin. I have meeting with MacMillan nurse on Wednesday for chat. But would really welcome some advice on what I can expect and suggestions what would be good to have in chemo advice. Sending you all lots of love 

• Hi Shelly 55

I had a lumpectomy just over a month ago and two lymph nodes removed, I am now recovering and awaiting radiotherapy. I know mine is slightly different to you, but It is a shock when you are told and it is important you take a bit of time to let it register and sink in.

You have made the first big step by finding the Macmillan site, also do visit your nearest Macmillan centre, a list is on here, they are superbly helpful and give you lots of great info, do walks, talks and lots more, or ring Macmillan anytime (0808 808 0000). Please also get a good support structure in place, family, friends, good work colleagues, I’ve lived on my own for nigh on forty years, but realised you can’t do this on your own. I also go for a short walk every day (British weather permitting) and do a daily diary, this is mega helpful, as it gets everything off your chest and out of your system. I also listen to meditation podcasts as they are so helpful in making you relax, especially at night when you can’t sleep.  I use ‘Go Gently’ by Christine Elizabeth Smith - done a lot for me.

I know it’s hard sometimes, but try and keep as positive as you possibly can, have positive people around you and dump the negativity. I wish you loads of luck and will keep my fingers crossed everything turns out good. Always remember to be kind to your self, you are not alone and can always come and chat to us shower in here at anytime.

Take car, love and big hugs.

• Hi, I had a large lump, so had chemo and herceptin before surgery, so similar to yourself. I blogged throughout my treatment, but this one might be helpful for,you. Chemo blog link

Best wishes with your first cycle,.

Community Champion badge

• Hi Shelly 55

Welcome to the forum and I am sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with breast cancer.  The nurse will probably go through the treatment plan with you.  

Wishing you the best of luck with your treatment.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you for all the info Kissing heart. Really appreciate you taking the time to do so. Especially think the podcasts are a good shout. Meeting with MacMillan nurse on Wednesday too. Hope your future treatments go well.

• Will check that out, thank you Kissing heart xxx

• I had my first chemo last Thursday. I started on EC and have 3 weekly cycles. It didn’t go as bad as I thought. I did feel nauseous during and after. It affects everyone differently. Make sure you rest after and for a few days after and see how it goes. Are you cold capping? X

• Hi Smiley, that’s good to hear. And thanks for advice re resting after. No, I don’t think I am going to cold cap. I’ve resigned myself to the fact I’m going to lose my hair. Don’t fancy having the cold cap, Kissing heartink it may be unpleasant? Are you going too? Wishing you all the very best with your Chemo Kissing heart xxx

• Yes I did for my first session. It wasn’t as bad as I expected but that may be because I have very thick hair. When it thins out it may feel worse but will have to see. It may not work at all.