TNBC

• 3 replies
  • 456 subscribers

Hi I’m new to this , but not to breast cancer Pensive

• this is my third time , was diagnosed on the 1st march , I’m 58. had surgery mastectomy on the left side , now the oncologist wants me to have chemotherapy , I don’t . I had chemotherapy in 2015 and in 2021 I refused chemotherapy , this time I don’t know what to do , lm really am stuck on this , I’m also bringing up two of my grandkids and I’m a widow I am on my own if I do , do chemotherapy 
  • Hello, I’m so sorry that you have had another diagnosis. I didn’t have TNBC, but I did have 5 months chemo prior to a mastectomy and axillary clearance (and then 15 rounds of radiotherapy) whilst parenting a teenage son on my own. It was hard, but we got through it. I wonder if there are new chemo treatments for your type of BC and your oncologist might be keen for you to try this. People on here who are more knowledgeable than me will likely tell you if that’s the case. Xx

• So sorry you find yourself here. Unfortunately TNBC tends to be very aggressive so oncologists generally seem to recommend chemo. There are obviously no guarantees either way - you can have chemo and still find you have metastases, as I did. Not easy to make the decision. In the end, I decided to have chemo simply because I didn’t think I would forgive myself if I later had recurrence and had turned it down. As it was, the chemo was largely ineffective for me, but complications during the treatment led to a CT that found the spread to my liver. So chemo saved my life in an odd kind of way. 

• Hi Pollyann

Welcometo the forum and I’m sorry to hear that you have breast cancer for the third time. While it’s completely up to you whether you have chemo or not there has been new treatments for breast cancer since you last had chemo.

Wishing you the best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge