Hello

• 4 replies
  • 451 subscribers

Hello. My name is Mervat. I am 58 female. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, grade 2. About 3 weeks ago I had my lumpectomy. They removed the cancer and 2 lymph nodes. I do not need further surgeries to remove more lymph nodes. Initially they was told that  I will only need radiotherapy and hormone tabs. But now I am waiting for results of genetic test to determine regarding possiblity of chemotherapy as well. I am starting to get stressed out more and more about next steps. 

• I was even told I didn't need anything but needed both chemo and radiotherapy.   Am halfway through chemotherapy now. Am starting to feel better about it all.  

• Hi Mervat, sorry to hear that you're feeling so stressed.

It seems that Breast Cancer treatment is not always straightforward and things change as the professionals find out more about our individual cancer.

I too find the waiting really hard.  It's great that you've joined this forum. Try to also talk to trusted people in your life and do things that usually make you happy. 

I'm now 10 days post surgery and waiting for my results and next steps treatment. Today, my sister and I are going for a manicure. Simple pleasure and a bit of normality. 

I wish you a peaceful day. S

• Hi, I found that it's difficult to be super clear about treatment at the start as things change as we go through the various stages. I had everything, by which I mean, chemo, surgery, phesgo, radiotherapy and hormone tablets.  It can be very stressful not knowing and waiting for sure, that's tough.  Remember the lovely folks at Macmillan are at the end of the phone on 0800 808 0000 if you want to chat anything through. Best wishes 

Community Champion badge

• Hi Mervat, I was diagnosed with a triple negative stage 1 invasive breast cancer at the end of February this year. I’ve had the tumour removed three weeks ago. I am nervous about undergoing radiotherapy and feel quite stressed about the possible side effects, one being an increased risk in lung cancer. Being an ex smoker and having a brother who didn’t survive terminal lung cancer, I’m petrified and am almost thinking not to have radiotherapy. I believe psychology is at play, if they delay treatment we are desperate to pursue this approach and if it is too readily available we become skeptics. The key here is time. I think so far we have gone through the worst and should not let the mental war get the better of us. Wishing you a speedy solution Mervat.