Newly diagnosed

• 10 replies
  • 461 subscribers

Hi, this is my first post as I’ve just found out today I have intermediate DCIS in 2 areas of my right breast and will need a mastectomy. I’m waiting on biopsies on left breast which will be in a few weeks as also an area of concern there too. I won’t have my surgery until those come back as I might need a double mastectomy. Just feeling numb tonight. 

• I feel you. I had 7cm of dcis, with two small areas of invasiveness in Oct 21. I had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction on Nov 21. Then fortunately no further treatment was needed.

Try not to think too far ahead and deal with just the day you are in. Hospital will pick you up and care for you and do great things to cure you. Scary things but great things. Slowly you will move forward through it all and whatever the outcome, you will be looked after. 
    Big deep breaths, you can cope, you can do this xx

• Hi Armaghgirl25 - so sorry you've had that news today. It'll probably take a while to sink in with a lot of emotions swirling around so I hope you'll be able to have some time to process everything. Most people on here seem to have had lots of support from their medical teams (as indeed I did) so make the most of the help and advice they can offer. You'll have an awful lot of appointments and it all happens very fast so in fact your treatment may feel like a whirlwind - possibly a blessing?

Everyone on here is fab with lots of tips and extra support - you can be honest and we all 'get it'. I know it's so raw tonight but you'll get through this.

I'm sending hugs - take care x

• Thank you so much. I just feel totally overwhelmed tonight.xx

• Thank you so much. I went into autopilot when I was told as I had to pick my kids up so just pushed it to the side but once they went to bed tonight it hit me and I had a cry. I just can’t wait for the 17th now to have the left biopsy done so I know what I’ll need done in surgery. The waiting is so hard.xx

• You'll probably be doing an awful lot of autopilot in the coming months but it's a good way of getting through as long as you allow yourself your emotions when they arrive. Crying is a good way to release how you're feeling and I think we're all a bit guilty of thinking we should always be strong. We've been dealt a crap hand and are allowed to say so. 

The waiting is rubbish but I hope you get your answers soon xx

• Hi I also received my diagnosis yesterday as DCIS high grade, I have my first appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday, I am also shocked, I just wasn’t expecting this news. I have other major health issues I am already coming to terms with so really don’t need this as well. I have a question on Radiotherapy, what are the common side effects people actually have?

• I’m so sorry to hear this, sending you a big hug. I’m just trying to stay positive and take each day as it comes now. Hopefully once you’ve spoken to your surgeon you’ll feel a bit better about things. I think the unknown is the worst part for me.x

• Sorry to hear that and my thoughts are with you too. As above, you will get through this.

The radiotherapy (15 sessions) mostly just made me tired and that seemed to accumulate so it was worse a couple of weeks after it finished - this lasted a good few weeks. Other than than my skin was red and a tiny bit hot but nothing too bad (and a rash right at the end that lasted a couple of days). Use cream on the area to keep the skin hydrated. I have to say  that (for me) radiotherapy was the easiest bit of the all the treatments.

Hope that helps and hope all goes well for you x

• Thank you very much that’s really helpful at least I have some idea what to expect so that reassuring 

• Thank you and big hugs to you too, try to put it out of your head for the weekend, that’s what I am going to try to do.