2nd time around

• 3 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hello I had a mastectomy 20 years ago with partial lymph node removal.  All has been ok until I went to a colorectal surgeon because of a failed FIT test and anemia. I had a full body scan, bowels were ok but they found two lumps in my remaining breast and one under my arm. To say I was in shock was an understatement. I am now having another mastectomy and full lymph node removal on the 25th April.  Just wondering if anyone else has been in the same position and if they needed chemo. Sorry it’s a bit long winded. 

• Hi Audreyg, I’m sorry you find yourself in this position after all these years. I am not in the same position as you. I did have a lumpectomy 12 years ago and cancer found again in December in the same breast and in auxiliary lymph nodes. I had a mastectomy and have just had my 3rd Chemo of 6 and struggling with side effects. I will have my lymph nodes removed a couple of months after Chemo finishes. 
    I hope all goes well for your operation and recovery. Sending big hugs Hugging xx

Alfie 24

• Hi Alfie 24 thank you for your reply so sorry your chemo is not agreeing with you. Is your hair falling out with it?  They are taking my lymph nodes out at the same time as the mastectomy.  Were you in hospital long after the mastectomy.  I have been told I will be in and out the same day. Last time it was 12 days as they cut a blood vessel and couldn’t stop the bleeding.  Had an awful time. Surgeon has assured me things have improved a lot, I really hope so. Is the chemo making you sick? 
    I hope you find yourself a bit easier today. Take care.x Big hugs back to you.Kissing heart

• Hi Audreyg, yes my hair started falling out 2 weeks after the start of my first EC chemo, so I asked my partner to shave my head. 
    I went onto a day case unit for my mastectomy was much it sounds like you will be doing too. 
    How awful that they cut a blood vessel last time

Nausea and sickness are the hardest side effects for me to manage and currently trying Sea Bands (wrist band acupressure) 

I wish they had removed my lymph nodes at the same time as the mastectomy but it appears there were no signs until the breast cancer and 4 lymph nodes were removed. Cancer found in 1 of the 4 but no chances being taken, so 6 sessions Chemo and total lymph removal likely 2 months later. 

Though the journey is different for everyone I really hope you don’t need to have ChemoHugging xx

Alfie 24