Here we go again!

• 4 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hi all

I have just been diagnosed with non invasive DCIS in my right breast 22 years after having a mastectomy for high grade DCIS in my left breast. It has come as a bit if a shock after all this time but it's not as scary this time and it has been caught early due to regular mammograms. 

I wanted another mastectomy but my surgeon feels it's too much surgery for a small lump so lumpectomy it is!

Surgery booked for 3rd April so onwards and upwards. 

• Hi  , sorry you find yourself back on the breast cancer rollercoaster, I can imagine it was a big shock after all that time clear. But as you’ve said, you know what to expect, having been through it all before. It does seem nowadays that they try to go for breast conserving lumpectomies if possible. Part of me wishes I’d been given the option of a mastectomy just to ‘get rid’ of as much as possible! But when I queried it at my oncology appointment to discuss radiotherapy, I was told that a mastectomy would have been regarded as ‘over treatment’ in my particular case. Wishing you well with your op. It’s actually pretty inspiring for me that you got 22 years without a recurrence! Love and hugs, HFxx

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • That's interesting to know you were told much the same as me despite my concerns. Thanks for your lovely reply