Hair loss /chemotheraphy

• 21 replies
  • 487 subscribers

Hello everyone!On 13th September 2023 I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer and on 3rd of November I started the chemotheraphy. Right now I lose completely my hair and more than 85% of my eyebrows. Obviously I feel so anxious and a little bit concerned about my situation ...I really hope that you are able to give me some advice, what I can wear on my head and where I can find a natural wig .Right now I'm on SSP so I can't afford to buy one!

Thank you everyone for the patience and support!

• Hello Anamaria,

I am from Switzerland, Here I could get my wig reimbursed. Have you checked if in the UK you can get it reimbursed ? Your cancer association can probably guide you here, An alternative is to use a nice scarf that you put nicely on your head. Many do this, when they don't stand the wig. As to the eyebrows you can design them with a black or grey eyebrow pencil. I did this every day when I've lost mine. I've also used a product from the MEME brand and put it every morning and evening on my eyebrows so they grow back faster. My hair started to grow again 2-3 weeks before the end of my chemotherapy. The eyebrows a bit later, but all grew pretty fast and now I have a thick curly hair, lots of hair. Good luck with everything. Muriel

• Hi,

My chemo unit put me in touch with a wig clinic. There is a £100 allowance towards a wig at my trust. I have also lost most of my hair. I currently wear head coverings I got online. Headwrappers do online sessions regarding headcoverings and you get a little pack with a few things sent to you beforehand - it's free.and I'd recommend the online session. The hospital or Macmillan may also know about other funding sources which may be available to you.

• Thank you so much for your message, Muriel.I will try to find the best solution. I wish you all the best!

• Hi LuckyD!

Thank you for your reply. I buy from Amazon a head covering but didn't fit at all...I would like to have an online session regarding headcoverings but I don't know what should I do for that.Do you have a link or something?

• Hi. Check out Looking Good Feeling Better. They run hair loss groups and workshops where you can look at products and try them. They're national and have them in most hospitals and maggies centres. Good luck

• Hi. Thank you for your advice.I will check!I wish you all the best!

• If you want Instagram, there’s an amazing lady that makes hair turban wigs that give you full coverage - Her Page is called do the twist, I’ve ordered three turbans off her and they are really good, some are vibrant, and some are plain

I was lucky enough to get a real hair wig from a lady on Instagram, my auntie set up a GoFundMe page I know this may not be the case for everybody, but to be honest I wouldn’t of been able to afford paying what my week cost out of my own money because I was only six months into my job when I was diagnosed so I don’t get sick pain until I’ve been with a company two years which is a complete joke. It’s not like I’ve got an ingrown toenail or anything so currently at the moment I’m having to use my holiday entitlement to cover my chemo treatment days, and as you can imagine, That is running out quickly than I expected so all other treatment days will have to go down as sick/unpaid

Also speak to McMillan directly as you’ll be entitled to a grant of some sort which should be able to help you out, also make a claim with DWP - And apply for PIP Explain your cancer diagnosis and they will backdate it after they have reviewed the claim

• Sorry, I was also speaking into my phone writing out this reply, so some words may not Correct lol 

• And apply for Health and Disability benefit. Forms available through the job centre. If you are having chemo or radiotherapy and can't work, then you're entitled to that too. Just make sure you complete the page on cancer treatment