Dipping my toe ...

• 3 replies
  • 483 subscribers

Hi all, after lots of medical humming and hawing since October, I've been diagnosed with stage 1 lobular estrogen-positive breast cancer. Just had an mri today. Big meeting with consultant in a week's time so maybe time to get better informed! I've always been terrified of chemo and have wondered if I might choose not to have it. Just seems so primitive to poison and weaken your whole body like that. How can I find out how much different treatments will increase my chances of a full recovery weighed against short and long-term side effects?

• Hi Brighterside, you can find out your potential benefits for chemo from the NHS predict tool - but I’d wait until you’ve had your op as you’ll need to know some pathology information which will come once they assessed the tumour in the lab. Also think VERY carefully about whether you want to know….as it gives your 5, 10, 15 year survival chances - prognosis is very personal and many don’t want to know.

They may also offer you Onctotype DX testing where they’ll send your tumour to the US and give you a score on chances of reoccurrence, this will advise whether you should have chemo. Ask your surgeon whether they offer that at your hospital.

on chemo - I completely understand why you may find it daunting…but just because there are side effects doesn’t mean you’ll get them. I had no side effects on the taxane regime - continued with life as normal - no weakness, no complications and  no issue with fighting off viruses (i caught covid and was fine!). Just don’t want you to fear it if the doctors decide you need it.

Hope everything goes to plan - big virtual hug 

xx

• Thank you. Good to know about the NHS predict tool. Soooo much to learn. Do they give you a certificate? ;-)

• forget certificate…they should give us a medal!! ;-)