Bolus radiotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hi

Have you had Bolus radiotherapy for breast cancer? If so have you had a holiday? How long did you wait to travel and did you have any issues with your skin or fatigue? Sorry lots of questions. I did ask at the hospital and they said it's OK to travel but reading online information the Bolus may cause issues. So I am nervous about booking a holiday abroad. Many thanks 

• I had a bolus, it was like a sheet or flexible rubber/jelly put across my chest. With mine the idea of using it was to pull the radiation through the skin as the tumour had nearly broken through. (I understand that standard treatment is to not drawn through to the skin)

It did make my skin worse in that particular area, red/burnt, sore. I was prescribed flamigel to use. I took a few months to settle down 

I used a high factor sun screen & also covered the area during the summer 

Hope this info helps

Best wishes with your treatment x

• Hi, yes I did, on the chest wall as I had a mastectomy. I did get intense itchiness and a soreness for a few days after the end of the course (I had 15 sessions). It looked like I was going to develop some tiny blisters, but that didn’t happen. They do prescribe a cream if things get very sore. I didn’t expose my skin for two years and wore t shirts. I haven’t been abroad, so can’t help there. Xx

• I also had a bolus. I had 5 day radiotherapy to chest wall after a mastectomy. No one actually said what it was or why they used it - I just assumed it was part of the process. I finished radiotherapy mid August.  I was given creams to use with instructions when to use. I plastered on the Zerobase as I have very fair skin and burn easily. The other cream was a steroid cream to use once a day for a few weeks. I had no skin reaction other than a slight discolouration. I went on holiday at the end of October. Hope this helps.