breast reconstruction

• 4 replies
  • 484 subscribers

Hello, I’m a new member here, I am currently on my chemotherapy treatment before a breast mastectomy followed by the breast reconstruction. Can anyone who has experience please tell me which reconstruction is better, using an implant or using my own tissue. Is it painful after surgery? Thank you. Regards, Ingrid 

• Hi Ingrid, 

I opted for a DIEP reconstruction which uses your own tissue and which gives you a more natural look. My new breast is soft and behaves like a normal breast. I'm still to have another surgery for symmetricalisation which will be in 6 months time after I finish my radiotherapy. The other good thing about this kind of reconstruction is that when you put on weight or lose weight your breast does so too and I have to say it really feels and looks natural! Even if surgeons won't be able to save your nipple, it would be absolutely fine - they will offer you a tattoo and a nipple reconstruction. I didn't have any pain right after the surgery and I have no pain now 6 months post surgery. Plus your new breast is for life, whereas with implants they need to be replaced in a couple of years time (not too sure about the exact time). All this is me but bear in mind that people are different and everybody responds differently to treatment. The only downside is that you will be having another scar on your tummy and it would take longer to get back to normal (a couple of weeks usually). Follow your instincts and discuss everything in detail with your medical team - they are best placed to give you the right advice! The best of luck with whatever you decide!

Lana xx 

• Thank you Lana for your opinion I know it’s a difficult decision to choose a right and safe option and with my inner instinct I am thinking about reconstruction using my own tissue as my breast can look more natural. I am so glad that you are feel ok after all surgery and reconstruction. 

Ingrid xx 

• I'm having a mastectomy and tissue reconstruction this Monday. I decided upon diep as more natural than implants and hopefully less ops. Although initially longer recovery with tummy and breast surgery. Told its 6hr op and 5 days in hospital being monitored carefully. Will let you know how I feel as I go along after. But everyone is different. My surgeon said as a positive, I get a tummy tuck too! 

They gave me heaps of info booklets and appointments to discuss options with a reconstruction nurse. That was very useful. Worth asking about that if you haven't been offered it. 

In my geographical area though, there's only 1 hospital that does a diep (even if private), so been a nightmare getting an appt. Its only cos i called everyday and someone changed their mind  that i got their cancellation. Otherwise it would have been at least a month later! The admin had told me no one cancels, but i asked nevertheless in case anyone was ill and had to postpone, to consider me as I could be there at a moments notice (it has been full on with urgent appts needed before the op this week). Plus 2 surgeons work on you. 1 mastectomy, 1 reconstruction. But ALWAYS worth asking about cancellations. The artificial implant has no waiting time as its done in several hospitals.

Hope I haven't confused you further.. Big hugs

• Hi everyone, just tagging onto this thread - I’m 10 days post op Diep flap and happy I made the decision for the reasons already mentioned. However, I’ve been informed I will need radiotherapy. Could anyone share their experience of radiotherapy on their diep flap breast tissue and how soon after surgery does the radiotherapy start? Thank you Relaxed️