Bilateral breast cancer

• 1 reply
  • 484 subscribers

Hi, just joined the group as looking for advice on what to do next. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in July and had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy. I was just getting back to normal when I found a lump in my other breast. It turns out I had bilateral breast cancer this whole time, basically same size, growing at the same rate both estrogen and progesterone fed. I am now awaiting the results of genetic test to see if I carry the gene.

If it's genetic I have been given the option of a double mastectomy. I can't have an implant as I had radiotherapy in October. I am only a size 8, small boobs but also not a lot of stuff to do a reconstruction with. I have been told that they could do something with both the little fat on my stomach and on the inside of my thighs but this seems like a lot of scaring.

Has anyone had this type of reconstruction I am very much tempted to not bother and just not get any reconstruction but also worried that this will affect me mentally further down the line. 

Any advice would be appreciated xx

• Hello   I have just come across your post and noticed it has no answers. I can't answer it myself as I have a different cancer, however by me replying the post will be "bumped" back to the top of the forum. By doing that I hope it will come to the attention of other Community members and that you will receive the answers you are looking for.

Best wishes - Brian

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.