Hello

• 19 replies
  • 457 subscribers

Hi all. Post lumpectomy for primary breast cancer and DCIS. Radiotherapy in the new year. Not going to lie, it's been tough, I went back to work and hardest part is my boss had a family member who had cancer 'so much worse' so 'you must be fine, right?'. I'm trying to be fine, its made me feel pathetic. I know I am lucky that is was found on routine mammogram but the fight is not over. 

• Thank you. I have diabetes and never considered myself to have a disability.  I don't consider it now either, and I think we are so desperate not to be needing special treatment that we get on with it. 

We should and need to take the time off, ask for amendments to our working day WHEN and only when we as the individual is ready. 

I do get that being off sick is expensive to company's but we are precious [I don't mean in a snowflake kind of way] I mean as human beings and as an employee.  

Give me strength!!! And yes, I don't have a cold. Ranting now, anxious about radiotherapy and whatever comes next. Scary. I salute you all you are warriors.  I say that, because I know it xxx

• Thank you so much. 

I truly feel bad for you, my friend also felt pressure to go back to work after 15 months. See post below.

It's all dog doo doo!!!! Best I can say on here I think!!

Feeling cross, very raw and uncared for by the majority as soo many employees do I think.

My grace is sufficient., stick to what you need. I'm not looking forward to Anastrazole, I already have osteoporosis big hugs xxx

• Hi

went for lumpectomy in February. To remove 2tumours in breast, surgeon found a third,Went back for results  and dcis was found by histology so small it could only be seen through a microscope. Surgeon got the right margins, but now I have to go back for second op Wednesday as histology want clearer margins because of dcis. If not successful it will be a mastectomy. Has anybody else gone through this. 

• Hi, yes I have gone through the same.  DCIS was found in my margins under the microscope.    I was very anxious when I was told the margins weren’t clear but apparently this does happen.  The breast care nurse told me to think of it as another step in the journey.  My margins were clear after the second surgery.  I asked the surgeon how many times they would operate before performing a mastectomy and he said it depended on the size of breast. Take one step at a time and I wish you all the best for your next step in this journey.

• Can I ask if the breast care nurse sits in with the consultant at your hospital, my consultant is always alone with me 

• Did you have lumpectomy with radiotherapy,

• Yes she is always there and explains things if she thinks he has not been clear plus adding a bit of her own wisdom. Is someone there when he examines you?

• You are lucky. Saw a breast care nurse once at first appointment

•  only time a breast care nurse was there was on my first appointment with the consultant. At my check up after lumpectomy she examined me without a breast care nurse, in the room, it would be good to have a breast care nurse there as like you say they can be clearer about things and add her wisdom.