Breast pain and achey shoulder

• 5 replies
  • 460 subscribers

Hello, I’m a in the crippling waiting period between diagnosis of grade 2 ductal cancer and treatment starting. I was only diagnosed Wednesday, my breast is now very achey, as is my shoulder. Should I be worried that this means spread? Lymph nodes had looked clear in scan but awaiting MRI.

• Dearest  ,

I am sorry you find yourself here - a place none of us wanted to be. ..... this all said the knowledge of the ladies and a few gents in this group is incredible... they understand, they understand how you feel, the ups and the downs, the worries, the lot - so in a way you have found the best place for support.

It seems the worst time for most of us is the 'waiting' - with the waiting on test results the worst, once you have the results you know what's more or less going on and can start to move forward with treatments.

I am not medically qualified but offering you a few thoughts .... the ache could be from the actual mammogram - not that it should ache afterwards but with you are tender or the operator squished a bit too much afterwards we tend to notice everything - mainly not for any other reason than we a now hyper aware and hyper sensitive to every little thing.

I wouldn't think anything as drastically changed over these last few days other than you are now in shock and are hyper aware.

If you find that the waiting is worrying you too much then you could contact the Nurses on here under the 'Ask an Expert' (its located on the top banner to the right of the Macmillan logo) section or contact your Breast Care Department and let them know of your worry and concerns.

If you start to find you have problems sleeping - with your mind racing - as is totally normal there is a thread called 'AWAKE' you might want to drop in there, there are always 'Fruit Loops' as they are know due to being up at all different hours of the night and day - you are welcome to join the thread and 'any' and I mean 'any' questions or worries you may have post them on there and you'll soon have some answers.

Wishing you all the best xx

Below is a link to the AWAKE thread. 

https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/breast-cancer-forum/f/general/128753/awake/2018840

I'm hoping this makes sense - only my mind says one thing and my fingers type whatever they like x
  • Hi 

I am post surgery 3 months now and just joined this group. I was exactly the same as you and felt very achy and worried about it having spread exactly as you are now. When I said to my surgeon about it when I went to have my lumpectomy she reassured me that this was quite common and quite often just the stress emotionally and physically you are currently feeling can increase any aching. Also you have been poked and prodded around a lot and this can add to it. 
    it’s very easy to say don’t worry too much as you obviously will exactly as I did, but to try and reassure you although I had a lot of new aching after diagnosis the cancer was fully removed and had not traveled to my lymph nodes or got any worse than when I was diagnosed.

i hope this reassures you a little and good luck with your journey x

• Hugely comforting, thanks! The nurse actually rang me back and said exactly the same, after I’d left a series of frantic messages.

Hope you are recovering well! 

• Hi Lau, sorry that you are here. After my diagnosis, pending MRI, I had a pain under my breast and in my shoulder. My BCN said that , under stress, we tend to hold ourselves in tight positions. Once I'd had the MRI and my results, it miraculously went. The waiting is truly awful but it will start to speed up over the next few weeks . Good luck x