Hair care post chemo

• 4 replies
  • 461 subscribers

Hi all.  A friend has just finished her last chemo session for breast cancer.  She has been cold capping and has managed to retain a fair amount of her hair.  She has been using Paxman hair products throughout.  Her question is what should she be using/doing post treatment.?  She has read about oils for the scalp and baby shampoo and she is keen to encourage new hair growth and retain what she has.  Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.  CaroleG

• I didn't cold cap but I have used paraben-free, SLS-free very mild shampoos and conditioners since growing my hair back (and actually had been using them before that too). I mostly use a gentle conditioning wash now and products that are organic and natural if possible so that my hair is nourished and not stripped of it's natural oils.

Not sure if any of these shampoos / oils really encourage hair growth, I would have thought diet would be more beneficial. I found that my hair really took off between months 3 and 4 post-chemo. It's growing well now but I think the hormone blockers keep it from growing like it did before.

• My hairdresser suggested I use Nioxin products and to massage scalp while shampooing etc. I can feel and see a difference.

I use number 2 set. Might seem expensive but you only use a little walnut size at a time and my bottles will last me a year.

hope that helps

• Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I will pass the information on to her.

• Thank you, that is very helpful.