DCIS diagnosis

• 15 replies
  • 462 subscribers

Hi everyone, I’ve just been diagnosed with DCIS in my left breast after having my results this week. I had another biopsy on Thursday with the results on 30th June. I’d just like to say hi. This is all very new and scary for me.

• Gertie15

ii had DCIS 18 years ago. I was scared, went through the motions of daily life until surgery and reconstruction…. I’m living with secondaries, 

thinking of you and glad you reached out here. The waiting is so hard!! And 2 weeks! Do find some fun things and positive distractions while you wait…

do let us know how you get on

J

• Hi Gertie15

Can I ask how long after the DCIS treatment you got secondaries please?  I have surgery in January and radiotherapy in March. Have just started getting a new pain in the side of my breast and getting worried 

• Sorry to hear of pain Rose15b

2004 had DCIS (was 49)

2007 found a lump under the arm, mine wasn’t painful. 
    do bear in mind that I was told by my onc that 98% who have DCIS are ok, me I was one of the 2% and living with secondaries. You can read my bio…..

• Wow just read your bio, you’ve been through the mill haven’t you. Well done for being so positive, wishing you all the best with your journey x

• In May 2015 age 51 I was recalled from my first rountine screening mammogram for 2 areas of calcification (10mm & 5mm).   I was diagnosed with DCIS in the 10mm area only.  The smaller area was benign.  I had a WLE in July and 15 sessions of radiotherapy in September.  11mm high grade DCIS was final diagnosis after surgery. 

I had mammogram last November and that was clear.  Trouble is I have to wait 3 years for another now.

• Just read your bio..tough going, I've just finished my treatment 4 weeks ago (surgery chemo and radiotherapy) what grade or stage was your cancer when first diagnosed, I was grade 3. Just wondering about the BR CA gene..how do they test you for it..xx

• Hi, I had a dcis diagnosis last month. It is scary but take it one day at a time  focusing on the fact that its found and you will be taken good care of. This forum gives so much support too.Blush

• Hi and thanks for sharing.  It is tough for sure when you hear cancer.  Had DCIS in right breast and stage 1 invasive in left diagnosed Sept 2021.  Left me breathless from fear but finally got a grip and had lumpectomy on right side and radiation for 3 weeks followed by a 5 day burst to tumor bed as margin was not 2mm in one small area.  Had biopsy on left breast and Surgeon was able to remove the tumor and get 3mm margins.  So had only that surgery on it and 3 weeks of radiation.  Both my cancers were not aggressive but still very scary.  I am hoping your surgery goes well and your radiation too. You will get staging too so you will know if you are low, medium or high grade DCIS.    Since both my cancers were ER+ and  PR+ I am now on anastrazole for 5 years.  If you have that they will probably want to put you on tamoxifen if you are premenopausal or an aromatase inhibitor if you are menopausal.  It does suck to have breast cancer but all these great women who share is inspiring.  Keep persevering and ask lots of questions.  

Barbara 

• Deeds

my second cancer was not specific, I was told that there was a relapse of disease in right auxiliary nodes and bone metastasis. No grade was offered, I’d wondered about that.

I was either offered or I asked for genetic screening as it was available. I’m a twin and genetically identical. They took blood and screened from that. Oxford Churchill hospital offered screening at the time - 2008. That’s why I know it’s not genetic….

• I do know that my DCIS nodules grew a new nodule every month and after 4 months wait for mammogram there were plenty! Hence tamoxifen after second appearance