EC Chemo & Hair Loss

• 3 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hi all,

I have just found out that I m having the fowlloing chemotherapy - 4 rounds of EC and 4 rounds of paclitaxel, that i am having every 2 weeks. What a summer line up!  

I am over the initial devastation of this news, but looking for stories and experiences really. 

Also has anyone managed to cold cap throughout a treatment like this and keep some hair?

Thank You

• I am on the same regime as you. Have had 3 cycles of EC, last one will be on Friday. I have cold capped so far and intend to continue throughout. Started losing hair after 2 weeks. Have lost about 90% on top of crown and around 60% of rest. With a beanie on most people wouldn't notice I have hair loss as I've retained fringe and back and sides but it is continuing to fall out. I'm going to invest in cold socks and mittens (having read some other posts) just to try and reduce the risk of any peripheral neuropathy with Paclitaxel as I already have Morton's Neuromas in both feet, and whilst not a neuropathy in itself I want to reduce the risk of any further damage. Hope this helps.

• Hi Twinkle25, well done for finding this site and sorry to hear you have BC.  Chemo is not as bad as it's press, I had the same chemo as you, I did not try to keep my hair as apart from anything else it made the day longer in hospital and this was lockdowqn year, you will find you are really poorly for a week then you will be able to get some normal back untill the next treatment, it is a gradual build-up so you will be very tired by the end but it is the price of life.  We merely tread where others have trod before, you can do this.

• Daughter cold capped but had lost 90% of her hair by her third treatment. She decided it wasn't worth it and her hairdresser clipped off the little that was left. It was the right decision for her, she felt much better when she'd 'taken control'. There was also the bonus of not having to have the cap for 30 mins before treatment and 90 mins afterwards, so it shortens you chemo visit. 

She finished those chemo cycles six weeks ago. Her hair is now almost half an inch long - not all growing back at the same rate, but it is growing.

Good luck with your treatment. x