Wire

• 9 replies
  • 317 subscribers

Hello, I had my surgery done 2 days ago to have a lumpectomy in one breast. Before going to theater I had a wire inserted where my cancer was, this was agony ,more than any of the endless tests I have got done. I was told I would not feel anything but the pain was out of this world. Has anyone experienced this??

Thank you

• Hi Molly C

I'm sorry to hear that you found the procedure so painful.

I had wires before my first lumpectomy in Dec. I was already really nervous beforehand , and I don't think it helped that I was tired, hungry and hot when they were carrying out the procedure. Thankfully I was sitting down whilst they did it because they had to stop twice when I nearly fainted. The nurse gave me more local anaesthetic which stopped the pain but I was already stressed by that time. For me it was by far the worst part of my treatment so far but I did wonder if my anxiety had made it 

I hope you are recovering well after your lumpectomy

• Hi Molly. You’re not alone. I found this so incredibly painful and was in tears. I have small breasts and wondered if this was why it hurt so much! Hopefully nothing else will be as painful for you xxx

• Holy cow! I've never heard of such a breast treatment before. What is the purpose of these WIRES?!

• I reread your posts. Are you referring to a needle-biopsy? If so, yes those are painful & local anesthesia should be administered prior to procedure.

• Mine was when I had a magseed marker placed into the tumour before surgery and they used a wire to put it into place xx

• That's not good.  I had wire inserted in hospital A at 8am then had to drive 10 miles o hospital B for my surgery.  I didn't find the wire insertion at all painful.  I was lying face down on a bed with my breast hanging through a hole.  They jacked up the bed like a car over an inspection pit, gave a local anaesthetic & after that felt nothing. 

• Thanks DebbieB, is nice to see we are not alone in this journey xx 

• I also had a guide wire inserted prior to my lumpectomy and SLNB - can honestly say I didn’t feel a thing, in fact I was laughing at this piece of wire standing up out of my breast with a piece of surgical tape on the end and waving around like an aerial on the back of a motor scooter.  They did tape it down once we’d all stopped laughing.  Seriously it was totally painless.