Critical illness cover

• 17 replies
  • 319 subscribers

Hi I am so stressed, we started a claim after my diagnosis. 
They rang me yesterday and asked if had anything like this before and I said yes, which isn’t really true as it was to do with breastfeeding and a milk duct was blocked. But now I don’t think they will pay out. 

they never said they wouldn’t but my husband heard and I think this could be straw that broke the camels back for us. If I have lost us this money when we need it I think we will end up divorced. He is so angry with me. I don’t blame him to be fair. 

• Hi Gem44

Sorry to hear that you are stressed.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you get the claim.

Best wishes

Daisy53

Community Champion Badge

• I had a blocked milk duct over 30 years ago which was benign. Diagnosed in my mid 60s with breast cancer. I don’t believe the two are connected. If you hadn’t told them about it, they probably would have been told by your GP anyway then it would look like you’ve not been honest which could have invalidated your claim. So don’t worry about it. You might need something from the GP to say the two are unrelated. Also when you took out the CI cover did you not have to disclose this previous condition? If it happened after you took out CI then it’s irrelevant. I’m sure things will be fine.

xx

• The two things are not connected. If they decline cover, appeal with a letter from your breast team saying they aren’t connected. I had DCIS in 2013 and then IDC in 2021, they were also unconnected according to my oncologist and insurances paid out. If you are really worried call them tomorrow and set them straight but I’m sure/hope you’ll be fine with your claim. You’ve been honest, you’ve done nothing wrong, hopefully your husband will calm down when he realises he’s lost his temper about something that hasn’t happened yet. As if you don’t have enough on your plate without him behaving like a child x

• Ye we have looked over the paper work and it says anything in the last 5 years, lump cyst or cancer, it didn’t enter my head at the time, only when the woman said on the phone I opened my big fat mouth. So I said no when we took out the insurance, as to me it’s non of those things. It’s a blocked milk duct. We only had the insurance about 18 months and this happened, about 6 years ago, I juts forgot till the woman said, had anything like this before and I said yes! Ffs. 

he is bringing things up from the past family etc. now. I don’t think we will make it, I am in for a hell of a Christmas. Santa Sob

• Take a breath, you’re both going through a stressful time. You’ve been honest about your medical history from your own point of view. Your insurance company will get the full picture from your doctor who will explain the difference between what you experienced before and what you’re experiencing now.

I never had any direct discussion with my insurance company, all their correspondence was with my GP and my oncologist. I can only assume that they got to see a history of problems after each pregnancy, ranging from mastitis to blocked ducts. It felt like I had permanent lumps that were being checked out for about 6 months after each birth and during breastfeeding. But they resolved themselves. Breast cancer diagnosis came over 20 years later and my claim was paid in full.

Whatever happens it’s nobody’s “fault” but based on what you’ve said, compared to my own experience, I can’t see an issue. It’lll  all come down to what’s on your medical records and what your medical team report back to the insurance company. 

Wishing you all the best with your treatment and recovery xx

• Hi. I will take a breath, I don’t think my husband will. I think it will come down to the decision and then if it pays out we might be able to salvage things. He gets nasty when he’s stressed and mad. It’s awful, I feel sick and juts horrific. 

thats reassuring what you have said. I really really hope you are right, I don’t need al this as well. :( 

•   .....just reading your posts. Can't offer advice about the claim but are you safe? You sound a little concerned about your husband's behaviour which is worrying to read.

1. I
  • Now is the time you need his support. I’m so sorry to hear you are going through this. Do you have other family you can lean on over Xmas?  Sending lots of hugs. Xx

NB Insurance companies do cause amazing amounts of stress. I’m going to have to make a travel claim for a cruise I’ve cancelled which isn’t until next April but I didn’t want to pay out an enormous balance of £15K when I feel I’m still recovering and not up to travelling. I think they’ll have me jump through hoops to prove I’m not fit enough. It’s a stress I could do without.

• I am safe. Don’t worry Heart

• Most insurance cover will be determined after they have received your medical records. If this does not relate to any previous cancer they should pay out. At this stage you worry about everything and underwriters will contact your consultant to get details. My insurance paid out quite quickly after diagnosis so do chase them and ask ifthey need any further paperwork.