PIP

• 6 replies
  • 315 subscribers

Hi

I have never 'claimed' anything before but was advised that I may be eligible for PIP so I completed the form and now have a face to face appointment! Has anyone else had one so I know what to expect?!? Grimacing

• Hi LisaJD welcome to the forum. I'm assuming that they will ask you about what you have put on the form and Im not sure if you have a copy of that with you or not? They will want to know what difficulties that you have undertaking your day to day activities. There are 2 elements to the PIP one is  the  level of help you require and what you need help with and then the mobility component which is fairly obvious about how and what difficulties that you have moving around, walking etc.

Best wishes with it all and please do let us know how you get on?

xxx

gail

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

I applied last year whilst i was going through chemo, at the time i knew i would need another op and radiotherapy which ended in july. I completed the forms and had a long wait before being offered a f2f appointmet which i couldnt attend due to pre op and having to self isolate. The lady i spoke to was really nice and rearranged for a phone call instead. However, i wasnt succesful. The person i spoke to was nice but i felt it was a bit rushed. The outcome was i could appeal the decision but i was just too tired and stressed by it all. I do hope you are more succesful. Xx

• Thank you. I hate talking about this 'situation' as it is and just the thought of it........

• Hi

I'm not holding out much hope to be honest it's annoying when you know people that have been given it and they openly admit that they 'put it on' to get all the benefits!!! I'm honestly dreading it but going to make myself do it........at the moment anyway Grimacing. I've had the chemo, surgery and a third of the way through radio. I'm then having oral chemo for a few months before more surgery.

Thank you for sharing your experience xx

• good luck fill the booklet  out your own abilities and get your ask for your nurses and docs help with signatures and see what happens 

• Have a read of this.  https://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/breast-cancer-forum/f/general/232718/pip-claim-with-breast-cancer/1758036#1758036

it's not diagnosis but how you are affected.  It's not just for physical health it's for mental health too,  You must have had issues for 3 months plus and expect them to last longer than a further 9 months.  Your main issue will be you.  You will put a brave face on at assessment and they use that to deny you.  Personally I think it works best when someone writes form for you as they see impact on you daily.  

You can ask to record meeting on your phone , they need to be told of your intention to do this.  From forums I'm on the majority get zero points at assessment stage, little movement at mandatory reconsideration but successful at appeal.  I did claim for family member who went from zero to enhanced on appeal.  I learnt from the first application, it was short term award, and was more focused on how I answered form questions,  Second award was successful after assessment.