Glorious weather, seaside, lots of exercise and err radiation area flare up

• 7 replies
  • 325 subscribers

I am 4.5 months since radiotherapy finished. I posted on here once before about having the whole area go red and sore again on wearing a running bra. (15 sessions RT including clavicle, chest nodes).  

More recently I’ve been able to wear one for short sessions but was on holiday in south coast last week and did longer run/ walk stints plus went in sea (previous swimming costume with reinforced areas was unbearable second time I wore it in sea, so I got new costume with nothing in boob area). I don’t normally wear a bra during day but am dismayed at this flare up. It’s improving with creams but as soon as I get warm it gets worse again. I had r side mastectomy and implant reconstruction followed by chemo. 

Do you think I’ve been over ambitious? I so wanted to up my exercise in order to boost myself and ready to do so, but now I’m despondent. And naturally slightly worried in case this is first sign of local recurrence. Altho timing suggests not. I have very sensitive skin and everyone was amazed how much better than expected it was during RT. I’ve looked up radiation dermatitis and feel I may be prone to it without workarounds.

I’m also confused by sun guidance on RT area. It looks like you should keep RT areas covered and normally I avoid sun anyway so this is my first exposure Or should you avoid sun totally regardless of area which had RT?

Thank you 

Fran 

• Hi, I am not an expert at all, but I think radiotherapy can cause some lingering side effects. It might be worth checking back in with your medial team for specific advice. I've been suffering from lymphoedema as a consequence, which doesn't cause a redness, but does give me swelling.

Regarding the sun, the advice I had was to keep the whole area from the shoulder bone to the breastbone, breast and armpit covered or use factor 50. I bought a rash top to use when in / on the water and that has been useful.

Good luck 

Community Champion badge

• Unfortunately irradiated skin dislikes heat,sun and friction and it sounds like you have had all three at once.It’s still early days with regards to the recovery of your skin. It’s been through a lot…

You should keep the areas you have had treated out of the sun and wear factor 50 sun cream. The irradiated areas will always be more sensitive to sunlight but you should be particularly careful for the first couple of years.

I don’t know what to advise re the running but I would say that your running bra is rubbing you. When I worked as a radiotherapy radiographer we used to advise ladies to put a piece of silk in their bra. This reduced any friction and rubbing to the skin. It had to be silk though,not fake silk and it seemed to work.It might be worth a try x

• Hi just wondering does anyone have recommendation on what sun cream is best as I am being brave and going on holiday to turkey in September finished radiotherapy in April would appreciate any help on what to use ty 

• I always use a baby factor 50 or one for sensitive skin.

There was a post the other day where people made recommendations. I’ve sent the link

Have a lovely time

• A lot of useful info here already but just to add that I was told the damage from radiotherapy is lifelong so absolutely no exposure to the sun. My radiologist pretty much said don't expose to sun rather than wear factor 50. I bought a new bikini that has a t-short type top so that it is completely covered.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but if you've had big reactions already then probably not worth taking the risk.

I was surprised that I found the cropped t-shirt option, it's actually really nice!