Newbie here and scared

• 13 replies
  • 311 subscribers

Hi guys, just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.  My names Sarah and I have recently been diagnosed with DSIC B3. Last week I found out I may need a right side mastectomy due to scattered calcification and to be on safe side. To say taking it in is hard and one minute I'm up the next a complete mess. 

The beginning of last week was just a normal week but now I'm researching what I should do next. Reconstruction? Implant? Flat  I'm so confused and feel so alone even though my family have been amazing. The waiting is just too much to cope with. I find it hard to breathe and keep control.  

I joined this group just to chat with others that understand and could maybe share what they did and how they felt?? Please... is anyone there?? X

• Hi Sarah. I’m sorry to find you’re in this group. I was also recently diagnosed and it’s very emotional. You’ll have ok days and bad days where it gets overwhelming. I’ve had a mastectomy and now need more treatment. The waiting part is the worse and once you have your treatment plan it gets easier but sirloin difficult. It will get easier. X

• Hi  , sorry you’ve had to join this club that none of us wanted to join. Hopefully you’ll feel less alone though as it’s a great place for support and shared experiences. I had a different type of breast cancer and had a lumpectomy plus radiotherapy rather than a mastectomy, so am not much help re choices relating to reconstruction and implants, but others here will have had similar so will be of more help! Just wanted to pop in to welcome you and to send a big virtual hug your way. And it’s a very scary time, waiting for results and plans, most of us seem to feel more in control once we know more about what we’re facing. Love and hugs, HFxx

PS I’m sure you’ll get responses that relate more to your situation but you could also start a new thread with your question in the title eg ‘Mastectomy options - what did you do?’ 

HappyFeet1 xx
    Don’t be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. – Hopi
  • Thank you Blush yes I feel this is q good place for me to be right now. Good luck yourself and thank you for responding 

• Thank you, yes, I think once I know the plan I will be able to get my head around it more. Atm I feel in limbo. I'm trying to prepare myself mentally.  I think they will say mastectomy is needed and they have mentioned radiotherapy also but won't know until next week. 

Trying not to let me head run away x

• Just want to say hello and welcome. We are good bunch on here in supporting each other. I didn’t have a mastectomy so am not much help in that respect. But I was listening to Dr Liz O’readon’s podcast “so now I have breast cancer” and the guest said something that I found really useful. She said something to the effect of “breathe, breast cancer is not a medical emergency” In essence what that means is you can take time to make these decisions so don’t feel under pressure. You can talk through your options with your team before making decisions. Research is really good but do take care to stick to reputable sites as Dr google can send you down a rabbit hole. I would recommend Dr Liz’s podcasts they have been so helpful. You will get through this. Best wishes. 

• Also you can have a look at my profile, you may find some bits helpful. 

• Hi Sarah sorry you are in this situation, not a club that anyone wants to join. I was diagnosed in November last year. I had widespread calcification in my right breast. I started Letrozole and Zoladex (hormone therapy) straight away. In January I had a mastectomy and reconstruction. I was given information about all the options that were available to me. I felt this was the best option for me, I wanted it done in one go (although there might be some alterations in the future). I also had 5 days  of radiotherapy. I was told at the start it was fully treatable so that made it easier. Just take it a step at a time. Feel free to ask any questions. 
    Best wishes 

Jen. 

• Hi Sarah2,

I was diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer about ten weeks ago, two weeks ago I had a lumpectomy and two lymph nodes removed and now await the results of the op on the 7th May. 
    I know this is a scary time for you, but you have to allow yourself a little time for it all to sink in and then most importantly, have a good support structure in place - don’t be ashamed to ask for any help.

You have made the first step by joining this forum, also please try and get in touch with your nearest Macmillan centre (there’s a list on this site) they are super helpful and can do so much for you. I also write a daily diary which I find mega helpful, as you’re  getting everything off of your chest and out of your system. 

I was shocked at the amount of help and advice there is available, but you must reach out. I have lived on my own for nigh on forty years and am very independent, but found I can’t do this on my own and don’t forget too, you can also come and natter to us shower on here GrinningThumbsup tone3

Take care and big hugs.x

• Thank you Heart the waiting is mental and yes one minute I'm ok then next no so,  good luck on your journey. 

• Thank you so much for your welcome.  No, this was not somewhere I thought I would be but I'm glad I have found it as even last night, knowing I'm not alone and the feeling I'm experiencing are totally normal allowed me to sleep q little more. 

I'm sorry you've had to go through so much too. 

Would you mind telling me how your mastectomy went please and which reconstruction type did you have? I'm worried that if I have qn implant that my body will try and reject it and it will look odd shape? Or cause more problems than not having one. Sorry, hope this makes sense but I'm typing quickly so I don't forget lol. 

How did you find the radiotherapy? Did this impact your reconstruction in anyway? 

Again thank you Blush and sending love x