Kadcyla (TDM1) treatment

• 242 replies
  • 342 subscribers

Hi All,

I’m due to start Kadcyla next month.

I’ve had chemotherapy, lumpectomy and and recently finished  radiotherapy. 

Just wanted to ask how the side effects are if anyone is on Kadcyla?

• Just replying to get you bumped up to the first page in the hope that someone relevant will respond to you.  Lov from Ann

• I started kadcyla in august so infusion 7 coming up and it is much easier than previous chemo odd headache and a bit tired after infusion for day r so but relatively normal and I’m physically active it’s a great thing to have as very effective …I’m triple positive with spread to neck but last cts body clear so it works good luck and hope you get on well with it xx

• Thank you.

I was told that it is well tolerated and side effects are very mild. But reading the list of side effects got me a bit anxious.

I am also triple positive no spread but was a stage 2 due to size of tumour 4.5cm but had a good response to chemo only 0.5cm left prior to lumpectomy.

All the best with your treatment and thank you for the info.

• Hi I am on kadcyla. Had 7th one last week. I’m struggling a bit with joint and muscle pain and nippy eyes! I take analgesics for pain and use lubricant eye drops. I’m also on letrozole so I can’t say what is causing this pain. I went back to work 2 weeks ago in NHS but try and watch who I visit as District nurse, I plan to do the phone calls most shifts on evenings. I usually do nightshift but I don’t think I would get through the night for tiredness, so im doing evenings only just now. Im determined to take the full 14 cycles but it’s getting emotional now every time my “ cycle” approaches. I have been upbeat with the treatment since last March but now im tired with it all. Im sure you will be fine, but my surgeon told me to beware and tell someone if feet/toes and fingers become sore which mine has. They have already reduced the kadcyla by 10% and say they can reduce 10% further if needed . Good luck, mine is going quick now, not long till the finish, 8th June !

• Hi, I’m also a hospital nurse and due to return to work soon. So this is info is really useful for me to have an idea of what to expect - thank you.  I’m starting Kadcyla next month.

I lost my big toe nails on both feet from my first AC  chemo treatment and had a bit of tingling in toes as well.

All the best with your treatment

• Fingers crossed for you that you will finish it all too. If you do go back to work I hope you have very good phased return as I have x

• This is a good thread as I feel most ladies on kadcyla are still recovering from previous chemo . I had tchp which left me with neuropathy and fatigue so that in itself takes time and then you start kadcyla which is low dose but accumulates so some will not notice it and others have usually halfway through side effects so while it’s quite easy I would say work part time and look after yourself …superwoman a myth mind you so is superman .

• I'm not entirely sure how this forum works but am hoping my reply will go to Lovejellies but interested to hear from anyone! Have you had a line put in or do you have a cannula each time? I'm also due to start Kadcyla soon and am thinking about having a line in (probably a portacath) as my veins were quite sore at the end of chemo. Interested to hear your experience. Thanks, x

• Thanks for posting this LoveLove2, I'm a nurse too and will be starting Kadcyla mid-Feb. This is really helpful, x

• I had serious trouble with veins  lol but I think they hesitant with ports as prone to infection and covid still lurking but I will say get them to put a warmer on you before cannula as it really helps and helps put cannula in easier just say before infusion