Kadcyla (TDM1) treatment

• 242 replies
  • 329 subscribers

Hi All,

I’m due to start Kadcyla next month.

I’ve had chemotherapy, lumpectomy and and recently finished  radiotherapy. 

Just wanted to ask how the side effects are if anyone is on Kadcyla?

• Thanks ever so much. Glad to hear your veins are coping, xx

• Yup since I get warmer on for half hour …previous to that they couldn’t get vein or my hand swelled up so make sure you get that warmer lol 

• Your words are so true, been battered with initial chemo to be told after surgery you need bit more :( 

• In the clinic , I run my hands under warm water for a minute and this brings veins up, making it easier to cannulate 

• I didn’t think I would need more chemo after lumpectomy and radiotherapy. I was on Herceptin injections 3 weekly which stopped prior to surgery. Was anticipating resuming Herceptin after surgery and starting Tamoxifen. So I was in shock when the doctor said chemo as I was thinking of AC chemo which wasn’t nice side effects for me. But then Kadcyla is mild in comparison to AC, but still a bit anxious about how it will be for me.

• Everyone different but I think it depends on if you still recovering from previous chemo ..it takes time and every symptom causes you alarm but it is easier dont read too much into side effects as that’s pharma covering all bases most don’t have anything major ..kadcyla allows some to work etc but don’t feel pressurised for what is best for you and counselling a good thing ..if I could get my hands back to normal id nearly forget I was on treatment ..hope all goes well

• Hi, 

I just had my 11th Kadcyla infusion today. Previously had 8 EC-PTH, surgery and radiotherapy. I am also taking Tamoxifen.

I thought that, apart from the Tamoxifen, I would be finished treatment after the radiotherapy, so I was very upset to hear that they wanted me to have more chemo.

However Kadcyla has been so easy so far. I generally feel a little tired for a couple of days after the infusion. For the first few cycles I experienced headaches in the following days, but this has stopped now. I have had one day of mild nausea.

I have returned to work full time and I’m very physically active.

Please don’t worry too much. I read all the side effects before hand and worried myself sick but my chemo nurses told me they rarely see any side effects with this one and for me that has been correct. 

:-)

• This is encouraging to hear, thank you. Hope the remaining treatments go well, xx

• Hi I am on paclitaxel with herceptin, is it dry eyes you have, mine are abit nippy n twitchy, can I ask what drops you got pls xxx