It seems I'm a patient now!

• 10918 replies
  • 389 subscribers

But not a very patient one! 

I've at least got a diagnosis, it's invasive ductal cancer grade 2, but still small, oestrogen receptive but looks as if I might get away with the lymph nodes....and maybe not too much treatment afterwards? 

Complex plan, but to begin with, a sentinel node (plus another one or so) removal as day surgery, (a nuclear medicine visit first to get 'the jab' for them to trace) then a gap while that,  plus the HER result come back, then because of my previous surgeries for cysts and the fact one resulted in a massive haematoma, therefore scar tissue, I will have a complete mastectomy with an implant. That will be immediately after Easter. 

By finding out as much as possible beforehand, the surgeon hopes to prevent too many operations. Obviously I will then need Tamoxifen or similar, so will appreciate helpful advice about that. 

But I'd be interested on anyone's 'take' on her plan. I feel reassured that she took time with me, and the BC nurse afterwards spent a good while too. 

Hugs xxx

• and the tulips! 

Thank you, M&S! 

Moomy

• I’ve successfully got medical records from the private hospital where I had my last operation (hand surgery) to fax across my notes from there to my consultant so they can have a look at my anaesthetic records. Last time I had (shoulder) surgery in the NHS hospital I was very sick and felt dreadful for a week or more, but after the hand op all was fine as they gave me the chance to discuss it all. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• This waiting is the pits, BUT do I really want to go anywhere in this weather?!

Still waiting of course for nuclear medicine and breast clinic to arrange injection and operation to check out those sentinel nodes! 

Hugs to all xxx

Moomy

• My huge bunch of daffodils are opening nicely to celebrate this snowy St David's day. 

Happy St David's Day, and hugs to all xxx

Moomy

•  Beautiful.....Im just about to make a batch of Welsh cakes. Need something to go with my cuppa.

i wish someone had a magic answer to the "waiting" issue! 

I had my nuclear isotopes, blue dye and lumpectomy and SNB all in one, but then obviously had to wait for 2 weeks for the node results. Swings and roundabouts I suppose as when it came back positive had to have second op to remove all the nodes.

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus

Jac x
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

- ooh, interesting that you work at Bletchley Park! I live about 10 miles away and have always said I want to go but have never got round to it! MUST try and go when it gets a bit warmer whilst I'm still mobilish!  It's amazing how you tend to ignore the interesting things on your doorstep! 

• Hi Cathy, 

I'm the first lady to be trained to operate and explain the Bombe machine since WW2!

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Jac, 

I do worry a bit about it all progressing in the meantime, but the surgeon's take on this was that the plan is sensible, given that it's a mastectomy rather than lumpectomy. Plus she felt it meant potentially fewer surgeries

hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

- How exciting and what a privilege!  When we go, I'll make a beeline for you if I spot you!! If you get waved at by some random woman, you'll know who it is!!! :-D 

• Hi Cathy, 

Yes, it seems odd that there are now so few women, given that in wartime we outnumbered the guys so much! 

We do Tuesday mornings and Saturdays, but given that I'm waiting for surgery, you might not see me anyway! (ten miles away in which direction?!)

Hugs xxx

Moomy