Glioblastoma stage 4

• 4 replies
  • 48 subscribers

Hello everyone. My dad is currently going through treatment for his newly diagnosed brain cancer. He's had surgery too. Google has mine & my sisters nerves wrecked! My dad is normally very fit, strong & healthy. Hes now very weak, unsteady, vague & so tired. We are very frightened as to whats ahead for him although we are trying to be so positive for him.

Our mum died at age 33 of breast cancer. I was 15 & remember it so clearly & it has affected me & my middle sister who was 10 at the time alot. We can't lose our dad who's are rock too.

Not sure if we can find anyone else on here who's going or gone through same diagnosis? We could really do with support, counselling & hopefully get our dad through this nightmare. Jo

• Hello Jodiebugs,

So sorry to see that you are going through this with your dad and your sisters. Whilst its very difficult to comment on individuals, just let me say that the treatment (chemo and radiotherapy especially) can make the person very tired and weak. Its a very hard disease to cope with, because it can affect the person physically as well as mentally and emotionally. My husband had treatment last September, following a craniotomy, and he has some good and bad days, but at the minute is doing ok. He is still taking dexamethasone, as well as other medication, (one is an anti epilepsy drug as he did have a couple of minor seizures) and also an anti coagulant because he had a DVT in his leg. All of these can be helped with medication. 

It sounds as if your family has been so badly affected by cancer. I honestly would suggest that you get in touch with a local Macmillan nursing team, they are so good and answer any questions you might have. 

Keep positive for your dad's sake.

Wishing you all the very best,

Llamalover xx

• Many thanks for your reply. Its the start of my dads journey & all new to us. Having folk like yourself for support & sharing personal experiences will definitely help. Thank you so very much. Jo 

• Hi Jo

You’re welcome. It is very difficult to take all the diagnosis and treatment on board. It all happens so fast, which is good in some ways, but we felt like we were on a roller coaster (that we really wanted to get off but couldn’t). Things do seem to calm down a little after the first few weeks though. All you can do is try to stay calm, don’t Google too much, (it gives you nightmares). Just be there for your dad, talk to each other and get support wherever you can.

Take care of each other too.

love

Lynne x

Llamalover 

• Hi Jo 

I was diagnosed with the same brain cancer in Dec and am 55, have operation and yes was very vague after it, have had 6 weeks chemo and radiotherapy which was d difficullt, but have coped well. My mother died 17 years ago with cancer too and remember the way she was. Treatments have definitely changed. I have another 4/6 mths of oral chemo to start in May which not looking forward to as it was chemo tablets that  made me feel sick. My daughter who is 29 is my main carer and it is very difficult for her as she has he own medical problems. But yes this forum does help to express your feeling and can help

Lh65