Brain Tumour

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with a tumour on the left side of my brain which was causing very painful spasms in my right leg. At first they thought it was a sciatic nerve issue but it didn't fit the profile and a C.T scan settled the matter.

I have had surgery at Southmead hospital Bristol and am scheduled for Gamma Knife follow up tomorrow all rather fast and furious, particularly when my brain is well foggy and refusing to function without headaches. Early days yet for me and so far no prognosis until the Gamma Knife stuff has been evaluated. Family support is great and the NHS have been superb but I feel like a stranger alone in a strange land.

BobbyQ

• Hi  and a warm welcome to the Macmillan Online Community but sorry that you needed to find us and I am especially sorry to hear about your diagnosis. 

Although I had a different type of cancer, any cancer diagnosis brings many questions, lots of confusion and stress but talking with other people who are on the same type of journey will help you navigate this rollercoaster.

The Community is organised into dedicated support groups so can I see you have joined our supportive Brain cancer group, this will be a good place to connect with others navigating the same type of cancer journey.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time. 

It’s always good to talk and the Macmillan Support Services provides lots of information, support, financial guidance or just a listening ear.

Most services are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week and it's free to call on 0808 808 00 00 have a look by Clicking here to see what is available and we also have our Ask an Expert section, but do allow two working days for replies from our expert team.

Sending you welcoming hugs Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hello again, sorry hit enter too early!

I meant to add we've all felt like a stranger in a strange land. An unexpected cancer diagnosis hits like a proverbial lead balloon but you'll get great support here I'm sure.

Hope all goes well for tomorrow and you make a rapid recovery.

Bx

Community Champion Badge

Womb cancer forum

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

"Never lose hope. Storms make people stronger and never last forever” - Roy T Bennett

• Hi BobbyQ  I also had Gamma knife at Southmead Bristol nearly 2 years ago for two on the brain so good completely cleared them and they can do the treatment many times if needed so easy and no pain.  Best of luck  Mick. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to boots2

Hi Michael, thanks for your message which was definitely encouraging.ThumbsupHad my treatment this morning, as you said, quite painless, with very professional and caring staff. See where it goes from here. Bob.