Confusion

• 6 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi guys, so my dad today seems more confused,  he's OK in himself but he seems to not be able to get his words out properly. I don't think he knows he is doing this. He has brain mets, primary is lung cancer. Is his confusion something to be worried about or is it expected? 

• No, it is not expected to be honest. Has he been prescribed steroids? Usually dexamethasone typically a few mg / day, like 4mg or 8mg etc? But it could simply be a seizure, if it goes away after a while. Seizures can last many minutes, even hours. If your hospital has a neuro-oncology department I would be inclined to call them.

• Hi Akist, thankyou for replying. He is on one 4mg dose of dexamethasone per day. My sister and I were told that our dad wouldn't last very long , 3 months at the most due to the brain mets. I feel like the doctor at the cancer hospital gave us his ct results and sent us on our way. He seemed fine on Thursday. It's like he's a bit tipsy, as if he's a little drunk, he can't get some of his words out but yet he's quite talkative. We really don't know what to do or who to contact. He is able to function, like prepare snacks and wash and change etc independently.  

• HI Mic75

as akist says if you're concerned get this checked out.

There are days when my husband is more confused than others and struggles with his words more and we've been told it can relate to changing pressure in the brain.

If in doubt though call and get you dad checked out. 

love n hugs

Wee Me xx

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

• OK, so I confused you with another lady whose dad is going in on Monday. As your dad has lung cancer, how is that being treated currently? If I remember correctly there are a number of regimes and options for lung cancer, not least of, Keytruda. Also gamma knife since, typically, brain mets are encapsulated. There is small cell and non small cell, from memory, and I do recall there are options. Have you spoken to the oncologist(s) and had second (and third) opinions? From another hospital with a completely separate team + manager of course, else you will hear the same. Sorry for the randomness of structure on this message.

• My dad's lung cancer had spread to his liver when we first found out. He had 3 sessions on chemo 3 weeks apart and 10 days of radiotherapy. Then a couple of weeks ago he became confused so we took him to a and e. This is where we found out about the brain mets. The cancer on his lung had shrunk considerably but had grown on his liver. They haven't offered any more treatment except steroids to help with symptoms. Also one of the areas in his brain had blood encircling it, indicating a small bleed. They sent us home with nothing other than steroids. My dad is 75. 

• Not much to say I am afraid, if they are offering no more active treatment. Probably this is the time to talk to the palliative people and try to make arrangements.