Anaplastic Oligodendroglioma

• 6 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi all,

Well, today I finally go into Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital for surgery to remove my newly diagnosed (though was misdiagnosed as a GBM back in 2012) Anaplastic Oligodendroglioma which has had a recent recurrence. 

Although I know it’s a really critical operation I feel quietly confident of a positive outcome. 

Wish me luck folks.
Thanks,

Stu. 

• Hello stewpot 127,

Just seen your post and wanted to know how you went on after your operation, my daughter has the same brain tumour as you, hers was diagnosed in May last year and she had an op to remove as much as they could, only managed 25% . Since then she's had 7wks of radiotherapy and is now in the 1st course of chemo which will continue till August. 

I hope you have had a positive outcome and wish you well. 

Take care, 

Morag.

• Morag,

Thanks to you for contacting me; I’m assuming this is from the OA and not the misdiagnosed GBM4. 

Yes, I am currently on my third cycle of chemotherapy and am doing one-ok-one- not so, so I can’t really say for certain what, until after my chemo meeting with my oncologist, it will be. 

So I, like your Daughter, am unsure what my eventual outcome will be; the fact that we both have to expect is that it will be the negative of all scenarios. Of that, I am certain and have had the past 8 years to come to terms with it. 
    I do not mean it lightly, it’s just that I shed a lot of tears in the early days, that any extension is a good thing. 
    No matter how bleak it seems. 

So, chin up Morag, I can’t really say anything more except, maybe a prayer for deliverance from this horrible, horrible disease. 

Yours,

Stu

Stu B

• Cheers Stu,

Many thanks for your reply and yes she has a  OA. While all the family are being positive she is the one who has to go through the treatments and the effects, unbearable at times but she is determined to live as normal a life for as long as she can. We are finding out that there are others who are going through the same fears and at times the disbelief that this has happened. 

Thank-you for your encouraging words, they mean a lot.

Take care Stu. 

• Yes Morag,

Thanks for your reply again. I guess, just reading through your message again, that the main thing that affects me is the complete boredom of the whole thing. Like it wouldn’t really matter if your life was one long  ‘brain tumour, brain tumour, brain tumour’. At least that would give us something to keep our minds occupied. 
    But this - it’s like just one long, everlasting day of bed/get up/bed maybe not get up - depending on how I feel. 
    Aaaargh…. It’s driving me out of my mind. 
    I have had the same conversation with my wife about this and, though she makes the right noises, I don’t suppose she really knows how it feels to live under a death sentence. Or perhaps she does - boredom, boring, boredom. 
    I just hope your Daughter’s predicament is better than mine. 
    Keep safe,

Stu B