Still Waiting

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hi All,

I truly hope you can help. My brother (38) has been diagnosed with a brain tumour and had a biopsy 8 weeks ago and we still haven't had the results (despite being told it would be two weeks.) They were sent to London (from Southampton) and apparently this wait is 'normal'. Is this normal? If so, how cruel! If not, what can we do to get some help. We have been to the patient liaison but that didn't help.

Each week we wait by the phone and each week he deteriorates. 

Thank you for any support.

1. Hi , I'm sorry nobody's been back to you with news. It seems unreasonable to be waiting as long as  that  Have you a cancer support nurse you can chase it with?

You might want to maybe ring the helpline too, on 0808 808 0000

Fear of the unknown is the worst thing. Once we know what we're facing, we find the strength to deal with it.
  • Hi AmyVine

I'm so sorry to hear your brother has a brain tumour. This very long wait for his biopsy results is awful! 

I think that the results would be sent to the neurosurgeon who performed the biopsy as the consultant requesting the test gets the results. I think 8 weeks is unacceptable, I know we're in unprecedented times right now but even so! Personally I would start by contacting the neurosurgeons secretary.  

I'm assuming your brother hasn't got a cancer support nurse as yet if he hasn't got a diagnosis? 

Hope this might be helpful