Long term affects off radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 33 subscribers

Hello 

My Mum was diagnosed 10 years ago with a grade 4 glioblastoma and had it surgically removed followed with intense radio therapy and chemotherapy. 

Against the odds, she is still with us today however she is now severely disabled in terms of her mobility (uses a electric wheelchair), has no bladder control, severe short term memory loss and unable to cope with every day tasks or look after own affairs, unable to form relationships, depression, the list goes on. Every week we see a deterioration. 

Mobilty wise the doctors have compared her symptoms to Parkinson’s but as it’s not Parkinson no drugs can be offered. The thing we struggle with the most is the memory and inability to deal with every day tasks. She lives in a independent flat within sheltered accommodation and has carers that come for 45 mins in the morning and a cleaner/PA one day a week. Me and my sister deal with all household bills/healthcare/benefits etc. 

I guess the reason for this post is to see if anyone else has experience this kind of progressive deterioration following treatment and how you coped with it? She is only 58 and we are unsure of the next stages of living arrangements for her

Thank you in advance 

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear about your mum and all the difficulties she encounters in her day to day living. 

I don't have any experience with this but I did notice that your post had gone unanswered. This could be because the person with the right experience just hasn't seen it yet.

If you don't get any responses you could post your question about the next stage of living arrangements in ask an information and support adviser and they'll aim to respond within one working day.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"