Radiotherapy

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 17 subscribers

My mum has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour and is due to start radiotherapy on the 20th August for 6 weeks, 5 times a week. Is there anything she’s going to need before starting/anything that would be nice/helpful that I wouldn’t typically think of?

Any suggestions are gratefully received 

• Hi

I haven't had radiotherapy, so can't offer any personal experience, but I noticed you hadn't had any response to your question yet.

While you're waiting, if you haven't already tried this, you could type 'radiotherapy' into the search bar in this group and have a look at  previous posts in the group which mention it.

I've also found this information from Macmillan on radiotherapy for brain tumours.

When you have a minute, it would be really useful if you could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi,

My husband has glioblastoma and had the 6 wks of radiotherapy. Tbh he wasn't unwell just a bit frazzled at times. We didn't need anything before starting, it sounds like you're caring and considerate and that will do just fine.

Good luck and take care,

Love Lisa x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LH66

Hi Lisa,

thank you so much! I’ve got her some toilet wipes (just in case she needs a more gentle wipe) and some natural skin care products to start with. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I have just finished my 6 weeks of daily radiotherapy, found it to be painless and had no side affects , apart from feeling a bit tired.

Glenn

• FormerMember

Thanks for your reply Glenn, 
    I’m glad that you had a painless side affect free course of radiotherapy! I think I’ll make her food up if tiredness is the main thing to prepare for. She has 2 kids at home still so probably won’t want to be cooking when she gets home.

thanks again! 

• FormerMember

The side effects for me have come later on the raidiotheraphy have caused deafness and double vision and pituatry issues so i have now been diagnosed with addisons disease, i too suffered a glioblastoma grade 3

Paul

• FormerMember

Sorry, I’ve only just seen this. She’s already lost 40% vision in both eyes so I’m hoping it doesn’t make her vision worse! Thank you for getting back to me