Rectal surgery to eliminate 2% risk

  • 8 replies
  • 130 subscribers
  • 298 views

My husband has been having blood in his poo but was told by his GP that he’s too young to have cancer (he’s 43). He’s examined him and confirmed it was piles. His bleeding got worse and so he requested a FIT test from his GP end of June. Few days later he was referred to cancer pathway and had his first colonoscopy done on 14/7. They’ve found a large Lateral Spreading tumour near his rectum and a small polym in his colon. The report says no feature suggesting malignancy.

As the tumour was 5cm they booked him in to remove it endoscopically via ESD on 19/8. The procedure was successful and they said there’s no deep invasion. MRI and CT scan both clear.

Called in by the clinical lead a couple of days ago to discuss his biopsy results. He’s diagnosed with rectal polyp cancer T1N0M0. The procedure removed the cancer entirely but with an extremely small margin 0.2mm. Deep invasion 2.7mm. No significant tumour budding. Well differentiated. No LVI. They are worried that they might be some microscopic cancer cells left behind or spread into his nymph nodes. They said the chance of it happening is 2-5% and the consultant felt it’s less than 2% personally. They suggested that my husband should remove his rectum to eliminate risk entirely. 

Our world has turned upside down since the biopsy results came back. We have an appointment with a colorectal surgeon next Thursday to go through the results properly. It’s an extremely hard decision - removing his rectum to eliminate a relatively small risk.

C

  • Hi Chong. What a difficult situation you are in The unknown is very hard to navigate. If you look at my profile you will see I’ve had my rectum removed.  Please remember you have ALOT of options.  Discuss thoroughly with your surgeon all the options. Radiotherapy/ Chemo. / Watch and wait.  Also you have the option of a second opinion from a different physician/ hospital.I wish you all the very best on your journey.  This is a very supportive site and I’m sure others will be along soon 

  • Thank you for your reply. It was particularly hard when I saw my husband break down in front of the consultant. He said in the UK they tend to be overcautious hence the surgery recommendation. This makes it even more difficult to make a decision.

  • My tumour was T2NOMO. I was told operation and likely stoma was the gold standard but that chemo radiation was a successful alternative. I opted for the radiation/ chemo tablets as they said it gave a possible chance of organ preservation. I’m 9 months on and clear and on watch and wait. Who knows but so far it’s been a positive experience if there such a thing with cancer. 
    please explore all options and don’t accept just one solution. Or get a second opinion. 

  • Thank you and I’m pleased for you! 

    Unfortunately they can’t offer chemotherapy or radiotherapy as they don’t know if there are any microscopic cancer cells in his nymph nodes. Cry The consultant didn’t offer any other options apart from surgery but we will find out more from the surgeon next week when he has his outpatient appointment. 

  • Hi please remember you have the right to a second opinion. As Salvia says the ‘gold standard’ is surgery and some surgeons can’t/wont see beyond that but you do have choices, please consider them all. Sendings hugs

  • Thank you so much xx

  • Hope you have a thorough conversation with your consultant. I should add that I went for chemo / radiation as it shrinks the tumour and chemo fights cancer cells in your body. I was also advised that if it wasn’t a total success in removing the cancer I then had the back up of tems or full surgery. I liked the thought of trying  for organ preservation and if it didn’t happen there were further options. 
    Big hug to you both. Wishing you all the best good treatment plan and some positivity going forward. 

  • Thank you so much Salvia! It’s been the toughest two months we’ve ever had but we will fight and get our lives back!