Adjuvant chemo

  • 2 replies
  • 130 subscribers
  • 115 views

Hello,

My partner had a colonoscopy which resulted in the removal of polyps and a 4cm cancerous tumour. He has since had left side bowel resection. Pathology results showing stage 2, T3. Not in lymph nodes but in blood vessels. Chemo tablet been offered for 6 months but only adding 3-5% extra chance of non recurrence to the 80% chance from the surgery alone. The side effects could result in him not being able to drive his HGV for that 6 months so also has a financial impact. The long term effects could also result in DVLA revoking his licence. Really looking for advice from anyone who has been in this situation and more specifically with DVLA aspect. It’s a difficult situation and also not sure which questions we should have asked the Oncologist yesterday. 
Hope someone may have had a similar experience. Thank you

  • Hi Jen74, If you view my profile you’ll see I’ve had a similar journey. Post surgery I was offered and expected additional chemotherapy, in my case CAPOX, my logic in taken the additional treatment, even though I was told it had the potential for a low increased in survival odds, was not to have regrets. I have a C+E license my treatment, less surgery recovery, has not impacted my ability to drive and if I’m honest the risk never even crossed my mind. Faced with the discussion again I would make the same call and have the treatment, we are all different so you need to make the right call for you and your partner. Best of luck whatever decision is made. 

  • Thank you so much for your reply. I guess we’re looking to find how this has affected others. Need to be able to make an informed decision on factual information and experience from others so I really appreciate your response. Wishing you all the very best.