Secondary bone cancer in spine

• 2 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi, I am four years down the line following a simple lumpectomy for breast cancer, one lymph removed,  (all clear,) 3 weeks radiotherapy and 5 years anastrozole.  The last few months I have been having pains in my shoulders and most recently down one leg. ( The worst thing is the numbness in my right buttock)

Initially my diagnosis was one of vitamin D deficiency.  However,  I was referred to a physio who arranged for a MRI scan. ( I already have previous diagnosis of spinal stenosis so thought this was a flare up) . The MRI showed metastases in my lumbar area and a possible small pathological fracture in my cervical spine. Shock/ horror. I am due to see the oncologist in two days time and await the outcome of further investigations. Wanted to get registered on this site to hopefully find out other peoples experiences. 

• Hi Nanny apple. I am so sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with metastatic cancer in the lumbar area, following your initial breast cancer.  I can imagine what a shock that must of been for you, and a fracture in the cervical spine sounds very painful as well. 

I have noticed that the bone cancer forum is a little quiet at the moment, so I am sorry you have not had areply to your post yet. I wonder if you might also want to join the secondary breast cancer forum as well, for some added support. 

Good luck at the oncoligst appointment. 

Take care

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Chelle,

Thank you so much for your message. It is quiet on here but let's hope it is because everyone is well! I will do as you suggest and join the secondary breast cancer site. 

I saw the oncologist today who was very kind and has put a semi plan in place pending further investigations as to extent of disease. I've had blood tests today for tumour markers and a CT scan . Follow up appt next Wednesday for results.  To commence dexamethasone which will hopefully help with the pain in my shoulder and hip. 

Thank you again for your advise. 

Regards 

Yvonne