Chondrosarcoma o the ribs

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

I am looking for some advice and support

I will be having surgery early next week to have a resection of my ribs and also to remove part of my diaphragm.  

I would like to know what pain relief others might have had and how effective it was.  I am particularly keen to know of anyone's experience of having an epidural.  At the moment I am erring on the side of not having an epidural because of the risk involved.  However, I do understand that to help my recovery I need to be as pain free as possible.

Also, I would appreciate any tips on preparing for the operation for both myself and my husband and children (aged 17-27)  Also tips for my family on what they can do to pass the time when I'm in the operating theatre as I will be in theatre for about 4 hours.

Over the past few weeks I've been swept along by each hospital appointment and test and have not looked too far forwards.  So it feels like the operation is suddenly upon me but I still can't fully appreciate the enormity of it although others have told me how serious an operation it is. But at the same time, I think I might not pull through it.  It would be helpful to know anyone felt the same way approaching their op and if anything helped.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I can't help you with the type of experience you're looking for as I didn't have this type of cancer or operation. However, I noticed that your post had gone unanswered. Unfortunately for you, this group isn't very active so you might not get any replies to your questions.

However, if you type 'chondrosarcoma' into the search bar in this group you will find quite a lot of previous posts and you could then respond to any people that you feel might be able to help with your questions.

Wishing you all the best for your op this week.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"