Newly diagnosed

• 17 replies
  • 77 subscribers

Hello

I was diagnosed as having Non Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer last Monday and I am still in shock! it’s taken me this long to even write it here let along tell people. It’s like if I don’t mention it or saying anything to anyone it can’t be real!

I was due to have a TURBT last Friday, but due to a mix up with them telling me not take my Anticoagulant medication for at least 2 days before the procedure has meant that I could not have it done. It is now booked for the 28th May and that hiccup has not helped me at all to process anything in my head.

I am hoping that the TURBT is successful and trying to think positively about the results of the grading.

• Hi,

The initial diagnosis is always a shock and takes a bit of getting used to, so your mind is probably at sixes and sevens, but it does get easier. We are a very supportive group, so don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how silly they may seem, or just to vent your spleen.

Bladder Cancer has a high rate of successful treatment and there are many different treatments. I found I got fed up of telling people, so I asked my nearest and dearest to talk to people I knew, if it was necessary. Give yourself some "me" time and put yourself at the centre for s bit.

It doesn't matter where you go, there you are
  • Hi CaPatient,Welcome to the group.It’s a shock to get a diagnosis but once you have had the TURBT and have a treatment plan it will be easier.This is a supportive group and we are all here to help and listen.Best wishes Jane 

• Hi ianw,

Thankyou so much for replying.

I do have some good family and friends and I have taken full advantage of the sun and fresh air in the last week which has helped.

It’s the wait before the TURBT I struggle with as I feel that ‘it’ is still in my body for a while longer before it’s removed next week. I think I will be able to move forward once it’s removed.

Best wishes

• Hi winkers60

Many thanks for your reply.

I agree that once I have the TURBT I will be able to move on.  I think about this morning, noon and night. 

Best wishes

• These early days of diagnosis most people find the hardest.What you are feeling is common you just want the cancer out.It does got easier once you know what treatment you will be having.You can focus on getting better.Keep posting and ask any questions.I’m glad you have support,it will help.We are all here to help you through too.Best wishes Jane 

• Hi CaPatient,

I had my first TURBT in March to remove mine. It all went well, 

just had TURBT #2 and I’m currently awaiting the results.

this group is amazing, ask anything and someone will get you an answer/ 

advice/ opinion.

the waiting for treatment/ results ect is the worse part. But as the others have said, once you get a plan going you will feel better.

Nigel

• Good luck, I remember when I was first told about my non invasive bladder cancer, it really hits hard and you're trying to stay focussed on what they are saying to you. My ridiculous first question was if I would see another xmas? The consultant said the most reassurring thing, consider it an inconveniece, nothing more. And it seems he was basically correct.

Fortunately there is so much on the internet, with forums such as these, that will explain exactly what happens with a turbt.

• Hi Andy, my first question was the same. I asked if it was life threatening.. he said no not at this stage. 
    Nigel

• you know, at the age of 54 the turbt op was the first time I had gone into hospital for anything other than the initial cysto and the pre op mularkey... i almost enjoyed the experience in a way,  One minute you're being humoured by the aneasthetist, the  next you're waking up with it all sorted and nurses on hand with drinks and food.

• That’s exactly how my first went I’m having my 2nd tomorrow morning I got diagnosed in February