Worried about Red Patches on bladder.

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 70 replies
  • 45 subscribers

I'm not sure whether I should be posting here yet as I am as yet undiagnosed, but I am very worried and cannot seem to get answers or clarification elsewhere, just lots of conflicting opinions and hopelessness.

on the evening of January 6th I went to the loo as normal and urinated blood, this went on in varying degrees for abut 5 hours so I went to A&E who took an urine sample and gave me antibiotics. The antibiotics seemed to do the trick, bleeding and pain during urinating stopped within a day or so although I still felt uncomfortable in the bladder area. Anyway the urine sample was inconclusive so they booked me in under the two week haematuria clinic for an ultrasound, cytology and cystoscopy with a CT Urogram to follow.  Doctor told me not to worry it is all common procedure now for the presentation of Frank Haematuria in men, that didn't stop me worrying however.

So a week after the "infection" I have the ultrasound, which was all clear and the Cystoscopy which showed a lot of inflammation, pretty much everywhere. The Urologist said it looks like inflammation consistent with infection and perhaps the Cystoscopy was done too early. The Cytology and blood tests all came back normal. About 4 days after this I had a second episode of blood in my urine, Doc said it is common after the procedure if you have an infection (He also said that not all infections are found in urinalysis and as my symptoms responded to antibiotics that is probably what it is)), again this was cleared up by antibiotics, and after a change of antibiotics to Cipro all my symptoms cleared up pretty much.

So two weeks after that I have the CT Urogram, everything is fine except "a very small filling defect less than 1cm" in the right renal pelvis. The urologist again says not to worry it is probably just a "variant of normal", either a prominent papilla or blood vessel which is normal, I asked about cancer and he says its very unlikely, this was echoed by the consultant and my GP. He wanted to do another Cystoscopy and Ureteroscopy under GA  to have a look and characterise the defect. This I had done a week ago today (17 Feb). Unfortunately the consultant couldn't see right into my kidney as my ureter was too narrow for the instruments, he also said I was bleeding very easily (my fault I think as I take a garlic supplement and forgot to say anything) , he said that what he did see was all fine and he fitted a JJ Stent to widen the ureter in order to repeat the procedure in 4 weeks. (17 March)

However, he also found two red patches in my bladder, he has taken biopsies of these (no results as yet) and another cytology. I asked him whether it was cancer and again he said its unlikely and he is not unduly worried, this was echoed by both nurses I asked, he mentioned something about a virus that can cause this. (Could it just be the remnants of the infection?)...

I am extremely scared that I have Primary CIS carcinoma in situ of the Bladder? I did see on his notes that he had written several things with question marks next to them with CIS being one of them, I asked him straight out whether they suspected cancer and he said, "its very unlikely", as did a second Consultant earlier.

Could this be something innocuous as the consultants are saying, or should I just accept that I have CIS as this appears to what people are telling me, that red patches are almost always CIS, and from what I have read CIS is virtually a death sentence...

I am a 44 year old chap, quit smoking over 12 years ago, fairly healthy lifestyle and I am scared, very scared.

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this, I appreciate my worries are probably very slight compared to most the people here, I just don't know where else to turn as no-one seems to want to tell me anything.

• Hello and welcome Jay, 

First i'm sorry i can't really help you but i do know there's people on here who will be able to.

CIS isn't a death sentence, there's people who have CIS and doing OK with treatment, if it is CIS it'll be grade 3 and if not in the muscle you would have BCG treatment.

That's IF you have bladder cancer, if the consultant says he doesn't think it's bladder cancer i would go with that, mine said what he thought it was and he was spot on.

After having a TURBT yes you can bleed for a while especially if you over do it.

IF it is bladder cancer, it's very treatable, try not to worry till you find out, i know that's hard as you always think the worse but you've had consultants and nurses saying they don't think it is so that's good.

More people will be along soon, try not to worry too much ~ Sue X

Sue Xx
  • Hello Jay.Good advice from Sue.All red patches are not CIS they can be due to inflamation as Sue says CIS is not a death sentence.I would stay away fron Dr Google for now as all it does is scare and confuse you.When you do google these things I think we automatically seem to look at the worst case senario.It appears your medical team are on the ball carrying out all the necessary procedures and tests and usually they have a good idea what they are looking at.However they would not confirm one way or the other until they have your results and are sure.There is information on bladder cancer here on the site and on the Fight Bladder Cancer site.You could also phone the Macmillan Support line for advice the number is at the side of the page.I hope you get some good news following all your tests good luck Cruton 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Cruton

Thank you both for your positivity. It's been rare in the last two months. It doesn't help that two of my friends, one very close have bladder cancer. Also my step-grandfather died last year from bladder cancer, so it seems I'm surrounded by it and I think that probably makes me more worried. 

I called the consultant yesterday and spoke to his secretary who said that the results had been sent back but that the consultant had not yet reviewed them. She would try to hurry him along and a letter should be sent to me soon. She said he might possibly phone me. She couldn't give me any other information. 

All the stats and studies I have read all seem very confusing. some saying that CIS will lead to invasive cancer in 54% of the time if left untreated, does that mean that some people have lived all their lives without ever even knowing they had CIS? Others say that even with treatment CIS will lead to invasive cancer most of the time (differing studies put different numbers on it) and I understand that the BCG treatment isn't available at the moment?  

I'm maybe jumping the gun I kniw, but I'm a mess.  

• Jay,

As Cruton says, try not to take too much from Google. Many sites are out of date and inconsistent. When you get your results, you will then know what you are dealing with. I know it is no good me telling you not to worry. We all know how the thought of cancer turns your head upside down. Stay positive and keep us informed. Best wishes.

Best wishes to All,   rily.

Community Champion Badge

What is a Community Champion ?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Jay,

just to reinforce what has been said already. I have a long history of bladder cancer (I'm 53 now and started at 35...), progressing from the most 'friendly' type G1 Ta through all grades and then CIS. Luckily still superficial, but as you say a tendency to become invasive *if untreated*.

Of course I treated it and this is my fifth year of high grade/CIS, and I have completed a BCG immunotherapy course (can't advice you on the current situation re. shortage). I am otherwise very healthy and very fit - I very rarely if ever see my GP for any other stuff! Really, the most negative things for me so far have been related to treatment rather than to disease, and even those, while not a cup of tea, are not overwhelming.

There are also alternative courses of action beside BCG, notably cystectomy, which looks terrifying right now, I know, but there are people on this site who have written of their experience and are perfectly happy with their lives after cystectomy. You'll find good info reading around on this site.

In sum, CIS is NOT a death sentence. Whatever you have, and I hope you have nothing significant, you'll see that you will adapt quite quickly to your condition whatever your choice. So be positive, and absolutely don't despair whatever the diagnosis! 

• Jay-- my nurse said yesterday that her new patients are receiving BCG, so  it is getting through to hospitals, slowly, but getting there. As ive had 15 up to now i'm having to wait a while. Saying that fingers crossed you don't need it. ~ Sue

Sue Xx
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to sueCC

That is some good news about the BCG, i hope I don't need it, but it is good news for all those that do. This experience (however it turns out) has really made me feel my mortality and look at life through a different set of eyes. Things that were important just two short months ago just are not, and the short of it is, that all I want is to be with my wife and son...everything else is just not important.

A Cystectomy looks like it ends (in most cases) your ability (in men) to have a sex life, so I would rather not go down that road. My wife is ever positive, she thinks the consultant is probably right and everything is fine, but I have convinced myself its not. Google is definitely not my friend, so much so that my wife has taken my iPad away to make it more difficult to continuously look things up.

I think that the Consultant may be just telling me what I want to hear rather than what he actually thinks until he has confirmation...I don't know, I am in a bad place right now. I feel awful posting my problems here, when so many of you have much greater concerns.

Thankyou all so much for taking the time, it takes some of the pressure off my wife, who has been absolutely amazing thus far.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Jay. Please stop worrying. My husband was diagnosed with CIS 8 years ago. Had approx 12-15 BCG installations and has NEVER had a recurrence. He has now been discharged. The treatment is worse than the condition. Incidentally, at practically every cysto a red patch or patches would be seen but they were ALWAYS just inflammation. I appreciate that others have different experiences. And he smoked for 6 years of those 8. (stupid, I know)!! Keep positive. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That is positive news. Has he actually been discharged and given the all clear?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Yes. Fully discharged. Only advice given was "Come back if symptoms return in the future". He has a very positive attitude (I'm the worrier). I know in the USA they monitor you for life I think but not in the UK although maybe different hospitals do different things. Strangely enough, he has in the past prior to Bladder cancer, suffered from depression, and he has always said that that illness frightened him a hell of lot more than cancer ever did. Keep us up to date.